PDA

View Full Version : T56 input shafts

nancejd
08-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Do the LT1 and LS1 T56's share the same input shat diameter at the pilot bushing? Basically, what I'm really asking is what's involved with installing an LS1 tranny behind a standard small block?

parsonsj
08-17-2004, 04:01 AM
The LS1 input shaft is longer, but the pilot bushing and spline diameter and number are the same. A spacer (.75" or so I think) is all that is required.

I'll bet Andrew knows for sure.

John Parsons

nancejd
08-17-2004, 04:51 PM
So it should be a matter of getting the correct depth bellhousing then, right? How different is the LS1 and traditional bellhousing?

parsonsj
08-17-2004, 05:44 PM
James,
The LS1 engine bolt pattern is slightly different: no 2 o'clock, add a 12 o'clock. Locating dowels and the rest are the same. I don't know how the LT1 bellhousing bolts to the tranny itself. The LS1 is 8 bolts kind of spaced evenly around, but not quite. I can send you a pic of my LS1 bell if you want.
jp

nancejd
08-17-2004, 06:30 PM
That would be cool John. I think I just want to avoid using the LT1 specific clutch.

andrewb70
08-17-2004, 07:05 PM
The biggest issue is not just the depth. The biggest problem is that the LS1 T56 has no traditional bearing retainer. So there is no way to properly allign the tranny in relation to the bellhousing. "Old School" transmissions like a Muncie, T10, Richmond, use the bearing retainer to align the trans with the bellhousing. When an LS1 T56 is bolted to its "native" LS1 bellhousing, there are 2 dowel pins that align the trans. If you look at the D&D T56, you will see that in addition to adding a spacer that makes up for the longer input shaft, they add a bearing retainer to center the trans as well as provide a place for a mechanical TO bearing to ride on.

Andrew

nancejd
08-17-2004, 07:37 PM
I'm planning on using a hydraulic clutch, I just don't like the limitations of using the LT1s pull off clutch, so the provision for a mechanical clutch wouldn't be important to me. Are the dowels part of the bellhousing or the tranny. Basically what I'm thinking is that one of McLeods modular bellhousings would be the way to go.

jannes_z-28
08-19-2004, 01:25 AM
Check this place,

http://www.t56kit.com/

Jan

nancejd
08-19-2004, 04:54 PM
Cool, I knew I should have looked at Tyler's site for the answer. I guess I have a couple of questions though. Does the bearing spacer go behind the throwout bearing then? I didn't see a price list on the site (I might be blind though). Tyler, can you shoot me an e-mail? I think I set my settings to allow members to e-mail me.