PDA

View Full Version : Question for the club. Some News

Steve Chryssos
11-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Well, I did it. I've started up a company: You're looking at the half owner of Twist Machine, LLC. I started the company up with a friend that I used to work with at World Products/Bill Mitchell Hardcore.

Twist Machine will manufacture parts for Hot Rods and custom motorcycles (the power cruiser segment in particular). First product is The Shrifter™. The paddle shifter for manu-matic hot rods. 2nd and 3rd products in the works are both for Harley Davidson V-Rods.
Turns out becoming a businessman is one of the greatest challenges I have faced in my life: Between the financial risk, the lawyers, the accountants and the vendors, starting a business is way harder than it looks. I'm sure I could have cut some corners, but I want things to be right from the get-go.
Anyway, most manufacturers shy away from posting on forums to avoid conflicts of interest and personal disputes that might poorly reflect on the person, the business or both. So I was wondering what you guys think?

Shoud I stay on the sidelines, or should I continue to hang out with the club?

zbugger
11-18-2004, 12:03 PM
Feel free to hang for as long as you want. I think it's a good thing when a manufacturer/seller puts his/her opinion and ideas out. Personal disputes should be left off the forums, with personal emails being the preferred gunfire. That way, opinions are not easily swayed. And those personal opinions are just that. Personal. That doesn't mean one person has to follow along without experiencing the individual him/her-self. Besides, we like your input. It's not that offensive.

CAMAROBOY69
11-18-2004, 12:07 PM
Hang out like everone else does then you can take my money too!! :lmao: Just dont forget to hook us up when we do the "group discount"
Congrats on the business and good luck! :icon996:

BADVELLE
11-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Congrats! I think that is great. :cool: :cool: :cool: I would welcome you anytime, your input is very knowledgable and helpful to all members. You can't and won't be singled out just because you have "chased the dream" that all of us probably think about daily. At least I do. Good luck!

Martin71RS
11-18-2004, 01:22 PM
The video you made will surely make people buy the shrifter.... :rolleyes5

Anyways good luck with your business and I hope you stay here....

Zefhix
11-18-2004, 01:36 PM
First, congrats Steve, I'll be in your shoes in a few years and no doubt will leech on you for input!
Second, when you make a quality product that practiclly sells itself, then your target audience could never mistake it as anything other than you offering a quality product and looking out for them. The only personal conflict I could forsee would be from a vendor that sells a competitive product. They may feel you're taking business from them but ultimately us consumers will want the better product. I think you should continue as you are. :)

Bill Howell
11-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Steve,
Congrads on stepping out and trying. I quit the Post Office in 1986 to start my own business and have never looked back. Not all days were good ones but I always felt I would rather try and fail than to always wish and wonder but never try. I am not in the same line of work I was in 1986 and 20 years from now you may not be either but I will guarantee you that you will learn each step of the way and use that knowledge on your next venture. A wise man told me when I stepped out on my own that there were 3 people I needed in my corner and I pass this on often because it is so true. You already mentioned lawyers-You might as well get use to them and have one you can call any time. You also mentioned accountants- This is the best money you can spend. Hire one immediately and listen to him. A good one will not always tell you what you want to hear but what you need to hear. He (or she) will save you more than they cost you. Last- always have a understanding banker that knows you and your business. Regardless who you are or what you are doing, there will always be times you will need him. Oh-about posting-are you crazy??? Don't let your threads turn into sales pitches but really how many threads will actually involve your products anyway. You would be shocked if you knew how much everyone's input helps here. Even when it is people that don't respond. Almost every new member comments that "after reading posts they have decided to join". That is what makes our sport grow and you never know what thought process your replys spark.

Steve Chryssos
11-18-2004, 06:23 PM
Thanks everyone. Looks like I can continue to be sarcastic and silly. The sales pitch thing can be a problem only because people will have questions. But at the end of the day, I just wanto to hang out and be a hot rodder.
Bill,
Good advice. I fully grasped the accountant thing going in. Nothing is more important than a tight general ledger. The lawyer invoice blindsided me, though (Co. formation, multiple trademark and patent app = Ouch!) I hadn't thought about kissing up to my banker yet. I'll add that to my "to-do" list.

Bill Howell
11-18-2004, 06:40 PM
Steve,
One other thing- if you are going to build parts for bikes you might want to change your signature thingy about 4tires being better than two-cause some hardtail might not understand. :lmao: (just kidding)

Steve1968LS2
11-18-2004, 06:46 PM
Congrats!!!

And yea.. we are relaxed here so just hang out.. just be carefull on other boards {{cough}} camaros.net {{cough}} since they dont put up with no damn "selling" ;)

And I will happy to push your shops products once I get that shifting gizmo whatchamacall it in my car :D

Hey, we can say we knew ya when you were a nobody... :lmao:

pushrod243
11-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Congrats Steve

Glad you have decided to stay. You have a very interesting product i think you will do well. As a owner of a custom Harley shop id be interested in seeing your other products once they are released. I have a small line of my own stuff we developed for the bike industry and still trying to get that stuff off the ground but its gaining more interest.

MrQuick
11-18-2004, 07:25 PM
Hey Steve thats great, good luck with that. If you ever need a dealer in Cali I would de more than happy to help you out. I should be up and running in Dec myself.

colt zantop
11-18-2004, 08:17 PM
congrats! good luck with your future business......I hope to have something with me and my best friend once I grad from wyotech and work somewhere for a few years...

ofcourse car related!!!!! :)

68LSS1
11-19-2004, 12:49 AM
I say continue to hang. It will probably end up being a very good relationship for you and for the board members. That is, there's something in it for both sides. Tim (porchev8) does a very good job answering posts with good tech, doesn't down talk others products and if someone has a specific question about Ron Davis stuff, he's got a answer waiting. He's a good example.

Steve Chryssos
11-19-2004, 10:08 AM
Wow! Look at this! I'm finding dealer opportunities already. Thanks Pushrod and Vince. I'll find you both when the time is right.

Steve,
That's the whole idea. I still wanna hang out, speak my mind and have some laughs (like a nobody) without having to be politically correct. If someone (you said their name) doesn't like me crossing a double yellow to avoid a truck with crap falling off of it-Too bad.

trapin
11-19-2004, 10:45 AM
That's kick-ass, Steve....can't wait to see the products.

Don't worry about sales pitch's...none of us here are going to mind.

Steve1968LS2
11-19-2004, 06:45 PM
Steve,
That's the whole idea. I still wanna hang out, speak my mind and have some laughs (like a nobody) without having to be politically correct. If someone (you said their name) doesn't like me crossing a double yellow to avoid a truck with crap falling off of it-Too bad.

Come on now.. you KNOW they never go over the speed limit and never ever do ANYTHING to break the rules... :rotfl:

gmachinz
11-20-2004, 05:18 AM
Steve-great job! Running your own business is a lot of fun in the end. Havine a lawyer in your corner is a must when you are in business with another person or if you have multiple partners-ohh, that didn't sound right-oh, well. I am used to dealing with vendors anyway so for me, maintaining my own business on the retail side of it is NP, and once I decide to go full force with a welding fabricator, I will be more into constructions. I guess if I could offer you any advice-it would be this: Never burn any bridges along the way of building your company. You have no idea about the power of net-working with people who you never thought much about ( in terms of you needing help/advice ) but they can end up putting you in contact with the right people at the various times-and if you are in business for yourself, you have to be a decision maker and a good negotiator as well. I'm sure your lawyer has made you aware of the bearer of responsibility for you both should either of you want to dis-solute the company or if one of you does not pull equal weight. What I'm saying is that when it all is laid out on the table-I do not think I can trust another person/friend to pull as much weight as me in my business ( since this is really my dream ) venture so to avoid having them put me at financial risk, I decided to be a sole proprietor. I am still an LLC company but with sole owner status-plus, none of my friends are in a better "risk" and loan/debt ratio as I am either-so that played a part in my decision as well. I don't how how you can use my services but if you need anything shoot me an email. I can be of assistance in helping you figure business angles if nothing else. Take care and good luck, Jabin.

Steve Chryssos
11-20-2004, 06:11 AM
Thanks Jabin,
I'm all over it. Decided to take my time and get all the ducks in a row before pulling the trigger. And burning bridges is not in my mojo. Along the way, I've stumbled onto some extraordinarily talented vendors--The kind of folks who are genuinely curious and motivated. They share my enthusiasm. I know where to find you.
Tony,
I'm hoping the right website will go a long way towards avoiding the temptation to pitch. From there, I just wonder about the correct etiquette when mis-information (or worse) starts to spread. DSE does a great job of resisting the temptation to fight back. They let their products and customers do the talking. So great parts and service coupled with solid information should do the trick. I think I will ignore the nasty stuff. I wish more manufacturers would "hang out". It'd be pretty cool if Vic Edelbrock (or Camee) would stop by and shoot the breeze about the Smokey Yunick Camaro or Bud Moore Mustang.

camcojb
11-20-2004, 08:35 AM
Steve,

Good luck in your new venture. I've been self-employed for the last 15 years and it is well worth it. I wish you the best and keep us informed of what you're doing.

Jody

Steve Chryssos
11-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Thanks Jody--I'm pissed that we didn;t meet at SEMA. Some other time.
Thanks everyone.

camcojb
11-20-2004, 05:51 PM
Thanks Jody--I'm pissed that we didn;t meet at SEMA. Some other time.
Thanks everyone.

Yeah,you ignored me!!!!!!! I was sitting next to Brent Dupont and Scott G and you shook their hands and didn't look at me....... don't blame you!

Just giving you a bad time, we'll hook up next year.

Jody

Steve Chryssos
11-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Oh no! How rude! Next time, kick me.

David Pozzi
11-20-2004, 07:08 PM
Steve,
I didn't get a chance to say Hi at the PT dinner. Good luck with the business venture, I think the main reason parts mfr's don't stick aroud the forums is they are way too buisy running their business. Here's hoping you have good business success but still have the time to hang out here.

Ralph LoGrasso
11-20-2004, 08:25 PM
Hey Steve,

Congrats on getting everything up and running. As you can by what everyones said, pt.com encourages vendor participation on the forums. Good luck with the new biz! I'm gunna give you a call mid next week, I need to talk to ya about a few things.

parsonsj
11-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Steve,

Congrats and good luck! Please do stick around. pt.com would be a poorer place to hang out without you.

jp

TonyHuntimer
11-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Congrats Steve!

Sorry I haven't called you back yet. Maybe Monday.

:)

It would be boring without you posting here. We would be lost without the posts about you in your underwear and your mentions of Elvis.

:hah:

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Steve Chryssos
11-22-2004, 04:25 AM
Tony,
I'll be around all day Monday--with pants on.

Nine Ball
11-22-2004, 07:37 AM
Congrats on the jump Steve! Owning a business definitely takes alot of passion and work. I'm sitting here at my oil/gas industry job, but am always thinking about what I'd rather be doing. Sure, I own a successful website business, but its not enough hands-on type stuff for me. I'd love to build custom cars all day, and make nice parts that I have thought of.

So, I'll probably take the leap sooner or later in that direction as well.

And by all means, stick around! I'd like to buy a v-rod someday and your parts might come in handy.