PDA

View Full Version : AC vents(really cheap material)!!

72Z/28
11-14-2006, 12:32 PM
I have ordered some AC side vents from classic muscles. I finally got them. I am really confused here....It is a GM restoration part, yet it was made in Tainwan.

They were made out of really cheap plastic pieces which were glued together in a realy messy way.

I can't believe paying $70 on each vent,:ripped: at the end I found out that they were manufactured in Taiwan in a cheap way. in fact, one of them was damages,so I have to freaking glue the pieces again..!!!:banghead:

6'9"Witha69
11-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Welcome to the world of restoration parts and outsourced labor.

PARKERRS
11-15-2006, 06:34 AM
Those look like the vents for a heater car, have you checked them beside your old ones? Do so before repairing or altering or you will not be able to return.Factory a/c 2nd gen. Camaros had different side vents than the heater only cars and they are in no way interchangeable if retaining the factory a/c.

72Z/28
11-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Those look like the vents for a heater car, have you checked them beside your old ones? Do so before repairing or altering or you will not be able to return.Factory a/c 2nd gen. Camaros had different side vents than the heater only cars and they are in no way interchangeable if retaining the factory a/c.

they are the same as the old A/C side vents.

Here is the website where I got them from:
http://1967-81camarocarparts.com/part_display.cfm?method=search

Here is a picture of the car interior showing the A/C vent on the driver side.I cannot compare the old one and the new one now because my car is being shipped to me. I know they look the same, but I have no way of telling from the picture whether the new vents are made for the heater car or A/C car.

I emailed classic muscle, and I attached a photo for further clarification, so I am waiting on their reply

T

PARKERRS
11-16-2006, 04:52 AM
Let us know when you get the car. To the best of my knowledge the air car vents have a long tube about 6-8" molded into the housing at a different angle for left and right which the flex hose connects to. The heater only cars also have the gills up and down rather than side to side.If they came in boxes marked OER they are definately heater car vents because that is the only ones OER is manufacturing, and they just became available this year.I don't know of a source for a/c car vents but check on nastyz28.com I think someone there said they could be obtained from a place called moementum camaro.

72Z/28
11-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Let us know when you get the car. To the best of my knowledge the air car vents have a long tube about 6-8" molded into the housing at a different angle for left and right which the flex hose connects to. The heater only cars also have the gills up and down rather than side to side.If they came in boxes marked OER they are definately heater car vents because that is the only ones OER is manufacturing, and they just became available this year.I don't know of a source for a/c car vents but check on nastyz28.com I think someone there said they could be obtained from a place called moementum camaro.

Thanks man for your input, Yes, the boxes marked OER. However, I found the same type of Vents in the moementum camaro, here is the URL, with the item description.
http://www.moementumcamaro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MC&Product_Code=5830718

I think the tubes should be ordered separately. All I needed was the vents. The only difference is that moementum camaro vents price is much less expensive than what I bought:banghead:

PARKERRS
11-16-2006, 12:31 PM
They may have a work around with the repop parts where the tubes are seperate but the oem parts have the duct tube molded in with the part that holds the vent. I pulled two sets out of both my cars that were like this. I converted to the heater type vents because almost all the factory air parts were gone on both mine, so I used classic auto airs perfect fit kit. The perfect fit kit was designed for heater only cars so the vent change was just what the doctor ordered.

72Z/28
11-16-2006, 03:10 PM
I got a reply back from classic muscle, and they confirmed that the these vents were for camaros with original A/C, so I guess I got the right vents..

I do have the YearOne manual for my camaro, and it does show that the tubes are molded in with the parts that hold the vents, exactly like what you said. I assume they are sold separately now..

I did not know that they make sure fit kits for 70-73 camaros. I will check this out.

Thanks for the input