PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust decision?

OLDFLM
11-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Help me with my exhaust decision...

Should I go with a traditional dual muffler setup or a crossflow setup? Either system will most likely come from Pypes with their x-pipe and RacePro style crossflow muffer or dual mufflers using either the UltraFlows or Goerlich's...

Let me know your thoughts...
V/R,
Ty

425hp 406cid Pontiac in my 72 Formula

OLDFLM
11-15-2006, 06:47 AM
Here's the current delima I'm having with the exhaust for my car...
long story short, I was given one of the first prototype crossflow mufflers, but it's not straight through (has an open 6"
chamber in the center) and might actually create a restriction in exhaust flow. Add to that, the Pypes mandrel bent pipes won't work with it so I'd have to have a local shop compression bend 2.5" to make the muffler work.
I'll be about $200 under ($400 total) what the Pypes Crossflow system would cost if I bought it from them and have to admit I like the idea of having a 1 of 2 prototype muffler. I just want to make sure I spend my money wisely and that I won't wish I'd have just spent the extra $200 later on... and put a "cork" on the back of my exhaust system.
Should I just spend the $600 on the Pypes Crossflow? Or spend $500 on a dual muffler system? I guess that's the real question.
Would appreciate your thoughts...
V/R,
Ty

6'9"Witha69
11-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Unless they have spent a lot of time on the exhaust pulse patterns in the muffler, I do not think it will be any better than a standard dual muffler with true X pipe setup.

OLDFLM
11-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Here's a pic of what the crossflow looks like internally...
V/R,
Ty

6'9"Witha69
11-15-2006, 09:03 AM
Seems like a good way to build back pressure. But what do I know.

Tom Welch
11-15-2006, 04:16 PM
I suggest looking at the Walker Ultraflow crossflow muffler, seems to be a good piece, I will be using the same muffler so I can keep my exhaust tucked up tight to the floor for more clearance.

FabUThis
11-15-2006, 07:13 PM
How did they work on a dyno ?

BEEBE
11-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Here's a pic of what the crossflow looks like internally...
V/R,
Ty

Ty, hey man.

Not from true experience but i have heard that the Crossflow system is kind of raspy / glasspackish......... Not the traditional rumble some are used to on their machines.

Im pretty sure their are other mufflers that would sound better that the one that come w/ the crossflow.....But not positive.

critter
12-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Run the crossflow system. You'll like it.

73ta
12-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Ditto to what critter said. I'm currently running a Flowmaster crossflow system, but am going to the Pypes crossflow system as soon as it's available in stainless.

OLDFLM
01-25-2007, 09:25 AM
Me too... should be available next month...

L n L
01-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Dang Ty, you act like you didn't get my e-mail or phone messege!!!

;-)

LOTS easier to catch me at the yahoo account, the symet is SO swamped with spam....

Glad you FINALLY decided on an exhaust system - lol!!!

Lee

vanzuuk1
01-29-2007, 07:16 PM
I want to run the pypes crossflow on my 69 but pypes said you cant use their xpipe w/dumps on a 69 camaro.

alstainlessworks
02-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Hi Guys:

Taske a look at our website:

www.stainlessworks.net (http://www.stainlessworks.net)

We are a sponsor and have more exhaust choices for 1st gen cars than anyone out there-2 1/2 and 3" with dual mufflers, with or without an x pipe, chambered systems and transverse mufflers for manifolds too!!

The crossflow muffler is not a great design-we sell both and I would go with a dual turbo muffler setup. Unlike other manufacturers, we build all of our s/s sytems in house, and build the mufflers in house also.

Thanks
Al
Stainless Works

Rick Dorion
02-01-2007, 07:21 AM
Al, will you be having pics on your site of the offerings?

alstainlessworks
02-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Rick

We will be adding pics to our site-check out the attachments-pics of 4 different exhaust systems-67-9 system with turbo mufflers with or w/o a crossover, 70-81 3" stystem with x pipe, and 67-9 system with ls1 and front steer rack (same exact system on year one's innovator Camaro).

Thanks
Al

Ps-We do custom builds too, and can build you a system with cut outs, dumps, etc.-whatever you want at our shop in Cleveland, Ohio.

Thanks
Al