PDA

View Full Version : Steering shaft- major problem.

67RScamaroVette
11-13-2006, 07:55 PM
I have an IROC box in my '67 camaro, with a replacement "rag joint," and I was driving it to work today, when it made a loud "click" noise, then the steering wheel was cocked about 45" to the right. This scared me because I knew something had to have played. I got underneath and realized that the clamp that bolts onto the input shaft of the steering box was slipping! :scared: :scared: :scared: I limped it to work, then tried tightening the bolt, but it didnt do anything, it actually spun almost freely on the shaft. in a panic, I drilled a 1/4" hole through the side of the clamp, through the steering shaft, and through the clamp on the other side, then stuck a gr8 1/4" bolt through it, and slowly took it home. Now there is p/s fluid under my car, and the steering is effortless. if i flick the steering wheel a tiny bit, it will power assist all the way to the other side. I also noticed that my new rag joint is ripped at one of the bolts that hold it on. this is really really making me nervous, I'm ready to rip out all the linkage and just install a power steering rack and race style u-joints. does anyoen have any suggestions on what i should do? i didnt think that fluid flowed through the shaft of the box.. i replaced the seals when i installed the box 100miles ago, and it wasnt leaking before. I'd be a lot happier if it went back to the way it was before, but i'll be paranoid that this might happen again.
:help:
olly

David Pozzi
11-13-2006, 09:27 PM
The IROC box requires a coupler that is smaller than the original PS coupler for a 67, and has a flat to match the shaft.

The torsion bar inside the PS box shaft is sealed at the end, your drilling may have damaged that area, or cut into the side of the shaft causing a leak.

I doubt you will be happier with a rack because they have their own troubles with installation and severe steering joint angles on a first gen install.

The AGR box is a drop-in and uses the old original PS type rag joint, or get another IROC box but make sure your rag joint is the correct one.
David

Steve1968LS2
11-14-2006, 06:35 AM
I wouldn't go with a rack and pinion.. lots of effort on a stock subframe for little gain.

Just drop in a new power box.. One of the Saginaw 600 boxes would work great and they have a nice precises feel. You can get them through DSE, ATS or Turn One.

Jeff at Turn One is also a great guy to ask questions of. He builds these things for race teams and really knows his GM stuff.

www.turnone-steering.com

67RScamaroVette
11-14-2006, 07:26 AM
ok, i'll just replace the box then. everything else minus the centerlink is new. does anyone have a recommendation for a good rag joint? I was looking at Tyler at ATS's one, the 3/4" one is the correct one (i thought i bought that one last time, although it didnt have a flat. I used the bolt as a "flat.").. im guessing that would solve my problem? The steering box worked great, but seeing the rag joint only being held by 1 bolt on one side kinda terrified me. thanks for replies so far, guys.