PDA

View Full Version : 4L80E & paddle shifting

TheMonkey
11-12-2006, 10:02 AM
my project is to put a 4L80E behind a pontiac 455 in a '61 bonneville. i seen a couple others are doing a similar combo, so i'll prob have other Q's coming at you soon.

in the meantime, i'm sourcing some other parts. in particular, i would like to go with headers instead of long branch manifolds, but i'm afraid the collector tubes are going to be in the way of the column shifting linkage. at least it would be on the TH400 i had.

then i got to thinking, with a TCI setup, is it possible to not have a column shifter at all, and control everything off the paddles or otherwise? generally, the TCI + 4L80E defaults into using the column lever, then hit a switch and it will accept input into the manual harness (from paddles).

any thoughts?

thanks, Scott.

Steve Chryssos
11-13-2006, 05:27 AM
You cannot control everything fromthe paddles PRND must still be performed from some sort of mechanical floor or column shifter. This follows the protocol set by the OE manufacturers as a safety measure. This keeps you from paddle shifting your way into park at 100mph.

So the paddle shifter is for forward gears only. In your case I would consider a floor shifter from Lokar that has an old "3 on the floor" look and eliminate your column linkage. We'll figure something out.

Thank you for your interest.

ProdigyCustoms
11-13-2006, 06:19 AM
Or push buttons shift would be cool, kinda staying with the era!

Tiger
11-13-2006, 08:56 AM
I was thinkin push buttons as well, thats cool!

muthstryker
11-13-2006, 10:05 AM
so im confused, you can use the paddle shifter with an automatic trans? or no ..

Steve Chryssos
11-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Yes. The paddle shifter works with automatics. But just like Porsche or bentley or Hyundai and all of the other factory manumatics, you still need a separate mechanical shifter for Park, Reverse, Neutral.

In Monkey's case, he will use a cable operated floor shifter to eliminate his column shift linkage. Pushbuttons are cool until the battery dies or the linkage jams.

TheMonkey
11-13-2006, 02:46 PM
thanks for the suggestions.

i'm thinking i'd like to keep the trans hump clean on the floor. i'm leaning toward a bench seat. i will take a look at the Lokar options though. i suppose i could also modify the linkage to the tranny from the column shifter; are there vendors with any kits or other linkage solutions?

as far as the push buttons go... what are some examples of the era? would that be mechanical linkage from the dash to the tranny?

thanks for the replies.

muthstryker
11-13-2006, 11:38 PM
so steve now that i know that it works with an automatic trans. when it comes time how would i go about getting one of these installed since im alllllll the way on the other side of the states >.<

Steve Chryssos
11-14-2006, 06:11 AM
Installation is definitely DIY. Other than making sure you have the right combination of parts, you will install the paddle shifter on your column and bolt your steering wheel onto the paddle shifter. The computer plugs into the transmission with the following exceptions.

-Supply 12V & Ground
-Splice into TPS sensor, Tach signal and speedo wires

Other than that, I handle numerous calibration training sessions by phone each week. We have a dealer in Vancouver, WA, if you want to see the product for yourself and are up for a 302.2 mile drive. Maybe they do installs.

http://www.streetrodhq.com/ Search paddle shifter

TheMonkey
11-14-2006, 07:07 AM
Matt - cool website. i enjoyed reading / looking through it.

so im confused, you can use the paddle shifter with an automatic trans? or no ..

it wasn't clear from your site or post what transmission you plan on using. just to be clear, you'll need an electronic transmission in order to have the paddles. loads of posts to read through regarding what else is needed. maybe you are all over this information, but just thought i'd throw that out there.

cheers,
Scott.

muthstryker
11-14-2006, 11:17 AM
thanks steve i wouldnt mind going there as i have family there i havent seen forever.

themonkey-im not sure what trans id be using i need to get my motor checked out first to see what was done to it befor i deiced what i want. would the 4l80e be a good trans? whats the power rating on one of those anyways?

Steve Chryssos
11-14-2006, 12:35 PM
.......just to be clear, you'll need an electronic transmission in order to have the paddles. loads of posts to read through regarding what else is needed. maybe you are all over this information, but just thought i'd throw that out there.
cheers,
Scott.

We still invest a lot of time educating people on the function and benefits of manumatics. Feedback from the SEMA show revealed that folks are starting to catch on. The basic statement that we make regarding function is as follows.

Q. What is it? A. A wireless paddle shifter for hot rods for use with electronic automatic transmissions.
Q. How does it work? A. Tap a paddle which sends a signal to the transmission computer. The computer decides if and how hard to shift and then hits the electric shift solenoids.

Those two statement represent the lowest common denominator for what we are doing.

TheMonkey
11-14-2006, 01:02 PM
...would the 4l80e be a good trans? whats the power rating on one of those anyways?

it's a great trans (my opinion). not sure on power handling, but i would think you can get into the 500s on torque on a stock build. with upgrades, you can put it behind even more (quadzilla 4l80e can handle 1200 HP - according to their website).

the catch:

-generally expensive
-require a computer (budget $700 - $1,500 for a controller); can get quadzilla in a form that does not require a computer, but the computer is a huge part of the allure.
-big - not sure you can fit into your '67 without tunnel pounding
-heavy - not sure on this, but i think 100# heavier. although it's down low, and most of it is in the TC which can be mitigated with an aftermarket TC.
-require a shorter driveshaft
-require a BOP adapter plate if you stick with Pontiac power
-require a mechanical speedo adapter if you keep stock speedo.

so this is a far cry from just putting in a built TH400. for me, i think a pleasant highway driver, along with totally customizable shift points and the coolness factor make it a good choice. oh.... and the addition of paddle shifting.

muthstryker
11-14-2006, 08:28 PM
dont i need one with a computer tho so the paddle shifter will work?

TheMonkey
11-15-2006, 05:17 AM

yes.

Steve Chryssos
11-16-2006, 03:56 AM

4L80E work very well for paddle shifting. Response is instantaneous regarless of load or gear. The 4L60E works well, but not as well. If you are making any kind of power, go with the 4L80E.

You need an aftermarket transmission controller. The TCI unit is $659.95. Part # 377000

100MPHWHEELSPINNER
12-01-2006, 03:35 PM
WWW.BOWLERTRANSMISSIONS.COM

MonzaRacer
01-28-2007, 08:25 PM
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/700MegaRaptor.htm

Jayco_Automotive
02-01-2007, 11:42 AM
if you get a 4l80e to rebuild get a unit manufactured after 1997 since gem redeigned the init that year and adrresed the durability issues that plagued ealier units also a 93-94 is a electrical ******* year.. Gm wasnt sure which electrical controls to use, also if you rebuild one never use the holley EPC only the bosch holley is prone to hi-line pressure spikes....

64duece
02-06-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm just about finished installing a 4L80E in a 55 Chevy w/ PCS TCU. Those that plan to run this or any TCU should check out their controller. Much better than the 10yr old TCI unit with excellent support as well. BTW, they use CAN Bus technology that hooks up with my FAST XFI ECU (only 2 wires). All sensor/data is shared by each unit which is super nice.

http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/

Karch
02-22-2007, 12:30 AM
Take a look at http://retrotekspeed.com/

Their's are basically linear actuators, with a bracket for the individual transmission (in this case a 4L80e).

Steve Chryssos
02-22-2007, 06:16 AM
The linear actuator motor approach is slow. By comparison, TCI, Powertain Control Solutions, Bowler, Compushift, BigStuff3, Baumann, AEM, etc all hit the electric shift solenoids directly.

How slow is a linear actuator motor? I don't know. But there is no way that a linear actuator motor can move as fast as a bunch of electrons.

Karch
02-22-2007, 07:25 AM
I asked how fast it shifts, and they said 0.2 seconds.

Perhaps it's not linear actuator...that was my guess?

Steve Chryssos
02-22-2007, 07:41 AM
Have a look at this thread:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20699

Karch
02-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks streetfytr68.

I have seen the shrifter, but know you need an electronic tranny. I thought this retrotek was a nice idea (I must say I have thought of it before, but as to putting together a package, not for me), especially for those who have more traditional transmissions.

Regarding your link, I read it. If you have a manual valve body, the trans will shift when you hit the button/paddle. The automatic valve body would, indeed, only shift after the governor speed is reached.

Back to the post on 4l80...sorry for the side-track.

Steve Chryssos
02-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Agreed.