PDA

View Full Version : Engine build for E85

TheMonkey
11-12-2006, 04:10 AM
are there any parts in the short block that need to be particular to ethanol, or is it all above the intake manifold & back?

EFI69Cam
11-12-2006, 01:25 PM
There is no changes needed in the engine, you will need a alchohol compatible fuel system. Stainless tank, lines, pump and carb. I had a SX EFI pump loose the epoxy on the windings due to just 10% ethanol.

Rolling_Thunder
11-12-2006, 03:40 PM
if you were going to build a E85 specific engine run it on a 12:1 compression ratio... other than that it is just the fuel system parts listed above.

TheMonkey
11-13-2006, 02:58 PM
thanks.

as far as compression... there is no downside to running less than 12:1 is there? (other than giving up the extra power & some efficiency).

i am getting built up to 10.25:1 to run on 93 octane gas in a 455 pontiac with an aluminum top end. i'm leaning toward MS EFI, and i think they are coming up with some beta stuff for flex fuel, so that may be a potential and i might as well insert flex fuel friendly equipment. the benefit is that i live in an ethanol rich part of the country (MN), and i have heard that a big benefit of E85 is a much cooler running motor.

trackrat79
11-16-2006, 11:51 AM
How do you get around the rust problem. I crew for a sprint car that runs ethanol and we have to run the carb dry so that fuel is not left unburnt in the cylinders because the fuems from the fuel will rust the cilinder walls and the heads, spec class all steal block and heads.

TheMonkey
11-17-2006, 01:16 PM
How do you get around the rust problem. I crew for a sprint car that runs ethanol and we have to run the carb dry so that fuel is not left unburnt in the cylinders because the fuems from the fuel will rust the cilinder walls and the heads, spec class all steal block and heads.

i think that's why it's E85, and not 100% E. maybe somebody smarter will correct me though.... not certain. this was one of the reasons for my original question. all the OEM FF cars on the road now, dunno if the short block components are any different.

jaybee
11-17-2006, 02:34 PM
I think the FF cars are just regular engines with modified efi to supply larger volumes of fuel and a fuel map that doesn't go nuts as the fuel/air ratio varies widely depending on the particular volume of Ethanol. E85 is alcohol fuel with just enough gasoline to make sure it cold starts easily.