PDA

View Full Version : Which performance exhaust???

Carbo
11-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Hello all, need some assistance in choosing an exhaust system for a 69 camaro. Shortly I will be dropping in a 408 stroker from T&L engine that's putting out about 550 hp and 530 tq. I'm looking at a 3" exhaust system as I already have 1 3/4 heddman ceramic headers with 3" collectors.

This is going to be a street car so not real worried about every bit of HP. I'm more interested in sound and low end torque. I want it to sound deep and throaty and have a good rumble to it even when I'm cruisin at 35. Does anyone recommend flowmaster, magnaflow, etc? Should I go with an H pipe or X pipe? Thanks in advance.

dhardison
11-11-2006, 01:05 PM
I recently installed a 3" MagnaFlow X-pipe kit (Summit part # MPE-16611). I was VERY pleased with the quality components within the kit. The sound is very different from, say Flowmaster or DynoMax. It has a nice deep tone at idle and cruise speeds, then sounds more like a Corsa or Borla exhaust when you mash the go pedal.

In the past I've always had custom exhaust, utilizing an h-pipe with mufflers by Flowmaster, Dynomax and SpinTech. The MagnaFlow kit has a much different sound which I prefer.

tomspo04
11-12-2006, 04:33 PM
I second the Magnaflow. I'm running the same 3" X-Pipe kit. It does have a differant sound to it...

Tom Welch
11-12-2006, 06:05 PM
A 'hybrid' system may work well, too. start with 3" pipes and after the mufflers or before the diff depending on your setup change pipe diameter to 2.5" to make fitting the exhaust easier. by the time the exhaust gasses get to the differential area of the exhaust they have cooled off enough to make this type of system effective and easier to install. No power loss/gain to be had that far back in the system with big pipes. This applies to normally aspirated cars.

Carbo
11-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. Yeah I heard a lot of people compliment on Magnaflow with a X pipe. I think right now that's the way I'm leaning.

69ratfed
11-13-2006, 06:47 AM
Spintecs Sportsman XL with a Dr.Gas X-pipe.

1Fine69
11-16-2006, 10:14 PM
i finally put tailpipes on my 3 inch, x pipe, flowmaster delta force race mufflers and its the nastiest rumble youve ever heard. real american muscle sound