PDA

View Full Version : Sand blaster question

nkopper
11-17-2004, 11:32 AM
I have been doing a little research on sand blasters in the past few weeks. I've got a 100 lb capacity siphon feed model I bought for $10 at a swap meet that doesn't work very good with my small compressor. It's an older Sanborn 5 hp 30 gallon unit, although 5 hp is a little optomistic. Max working pressure is 125 PSI, although I'm uncertain of the CFM rating. I'm looking to blast mostly small parts for now, like the inner wheel housings before I widen them, a-arms, etc. Does anyone have experience with a pressurized blaster and a small compressor like mine? I'm leaning toward a 5 gallon blaster from Harbor Freight that can run on 60-125 PSI and 6 to 25 CFM. I am currently using Black Magic media if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Nathan

ProdigyCustoms
11-17-2004, 08:17 PM
Once you try a pressure blaster, you will wonder how you lived without it. You will however find yourself waiting on a 5HP compressor to catch up, but you may need a break yourself anyway.

68LSS1
11-18-2004, 02:07 AM
I've got a larger compressor and had a siphon feed blaster. When I tried to use plastic media I found it was just to light and I had to turn the pressure way higher than what was recommended for it. I got a smaller pressure type blaster and it worked a lot better with the plastic media. I am not sure what Black Magic media is but I thought I'd throw that out there.

nkopper
11-18-2004, 06:54 AM
Black Magic is a coal slag media available at Menards. It supposedly causes less heat build up and warpage than sand and it's cheap, only about $4 for a 50 lb bag.

c.schulz
11-18-2004, 06:35 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
This what I built for myself a couple years ago.Couple sheets of plywood and some 2x4s.
5 hp comp. is to small you will find. Pressure blasting is the way to go.Try pure white sand from "Quickcrete" about $3.25 for a 50# bags.
Chris

sanddan
11-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Steer clear of regular sand, the silica dust produced is VERY dangerous to your health. You should always use media that is designed for use in blasting. :)
Dan

c.schulz
11-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Yes sir you are correct.Needed to add that I only use the sand outside in the open.
Chris