PDA

View Full Version : alternator bracket

harshman
11-17-2004, 11:06 AM
I’m trying to find a post where a guy explained how he fabricated his own alternator bracket using hyme (sp?) joints. Does anyone have any info?

dennis68
11-17-2004, 02:44 PM
I made mine out of a turnbuckle at the hardware store. Cost for stainless-8.00.

Heim or spherical rod ends.

gmachinz
11-17-2004, 08:10 PM
I think you are referring to an old post I made quite awhile ago. Yes, any local hardware store stocks regular aluminum stock turn-buckles but they have weird cork-screw eyelets threaded into them. I drilled out the centers and tapped each side with a 1/4" pipe tap and installed steel bushings (w/red loctite) that I then drilled and tapped for left and right hand 3/8 heim-ends. Using left and right jam nuts it's simply a turn of the wrench to tighten or loosen the bracket. I make them in 4,6,9 and 12 inch lengths. -Jabin

RobM
11-17-2004, 09:07 PM
sounds cool any pictures?

gmachinz
11-18-2004, 06:33 AM
I have a couple pics of the one I used on my Monte from a couple years ago before the pro-touring overhaul. I have not messed with posting pics on this new site but if I could email the pic to someone who can post it for me here that would be cool. I make my own brackets mainly because with v-belts, I like to keep the distance between pulleys as short as possible to avoid throwing belts. Also, for stereo upgrades or for other electrical upgrades that call for a higher output alternator, I like to install 140-amp alternators from GM which have a 6" diameter case and features 6 and 12 mounting positions. I use these on all makes and models-I just modify the wiring to accept this style, make a bracket between two points so long as I have a pivot point and I'm done. Right now I'm working with a customer who wants a second 250-amp Stinger alternator installed so he can compete in the stock class for Db drags. I already have the bracket designed for it. This is on a 2000 Impala and space is tight-I'm putting it further forward of the stock one with a 12" heim-end bracket and another aluminum bracket to anchor it. I am fabbing up a custom scoop for his hood right now using an Eagle Talon scoop. It should look cool-I'm hoping to get his system totally converted to 24V for his stereo/electrical accessories so he can step down on his wiring size and stiffening capacitor requirements. Anything above 1Farad puts him in another class category altogether-but nobody that I know of converts 12v to 24v yet-so we'll be one up on the competition if his amps hold on. Whew-anyway, who canI send this pic to? -Jabin

derekf
11-19-2004, 05:17 AM
Send to me and I'll host when I get home (if nobody offers sooner).

gmachinz
11-20-2004, 06:40 AM
Thanks, Derek-you have mail :smoke:

gmachinz
11-21-2004, 05:59 AM
Here is the photo of one I made. Or go to www.derekf.com/images/gmachinz/alt-bracket.jpg