PDA

View Full Version : Miller Welder

52deluxe
11-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Just curious if anyone here has had a chance to use a Miller Bobcat 250? I am looking at one very seriously, but am not sure if I should spring for the Trailblazer or an electrical all in one buzz box instead. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

fletcherscustoms
11-08-2006, 11:07 AM
yeah we use them all the time in the boiler field. I would only get one if I was doing production work on heavy equipment or erection. I stick welder is no good for auto work

Camaro Zach
11-08-2006, 04:12 PM
what are you planning on doing with this machine? automotive work, home projects, or are you wanting to do mobile welding out in the field?
The answer to that question will help us guide you to the right machine.

But i have used the Bobcat 250 (kohler engine) at work and i LOVE IT! great arc and is much quieter than our Ranger 250 and the hobart.

52deluxe
11-09-2006, 09:11 AM
well since the bobcat is an all in one box i was leaning towards it, it will be used in my shop for automotive and bike chassis work. the problem is that i cant get 3 phase power to my house without spending bookoo bucks, so i was thinking of getting the bobcat or trailblazer and running a 3 phase compressor off of the generator.

Camaro Zach
11-09-2006, 10:05 AM
I'm pretty sure the bobcat only generates single phase power. Are you sure your compressor is 3 phase? most average (80gal) are single phase 220v. Also i'm not sure if this machine is really what you are after. It does do Tig welding but it is scratch or touch start and does not use a remote control to control current. (also it doesnt come with a torch or hoses or regulators or anything.. just the welder). And to be able to mig weld with the machine you would still have to buy a $1,200 wirefeeder. If you are wanting to do mig and or tig welding I think you would be better off buying two separate machines. And if you still wanted to do stick welding too im sure you could get a 250 amp stand alone stick welder and still be better off than the $3,9xx price tag of the bobcat.

52deluxe
11-17-2006, 06:38 AM
i have decided on the trailblazer 302 with the spool gun ....MSRP is like 6K, but i bet with my discount through the local welding shop, i can get it beeter than that. and there is a 3 phase version of the bobcat, and the compressor i am buying is a 3 phase screw type compressor.