PDA

View Full Version : Can you carb an LT-1?

el kaMEANo
11-17-2004, 08:14 AM
Before you ask why on earth I would want to: I have a friend who purchases vehicles at auctions. He picked up a 96 or 97 Trans-Am burn-total for $300. The car itself is worthless, but it had a disc brake rearend, 6spd trans, LT1. He's keeping the rear and trans and said he would make me a sweet deal on the LT1. The reason I would like to carb it is because all of the engine wiring, plugs, and injector bodies are melted. I thought if I could take it all apart, freshen it up, bolt a carb and intake on it, I'd like to have it. Is there a manifold that allows the installation of a carb?

MarkM66
11-17-2004, 08:29 AM
Yeah, GM makes two intakes for this conversion.

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/perfpartsjsp/partlist.jsp?cat=9405&section=ep

el kaMEANo
11-17-2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks Mark. Scoggin-****ey has 3 in stock at a really good price, but my name is on one of them. Which street/strip carb would take good advantage of the cam and heads on the LT-1? This will be a daily driver for about 8-10 months out of the year. Thanks guys.

Lowend
11-17-2004, 09:20 AM
Plan on either cutting a hole in the intake for a distribuor, or finding a computer to run the Optispark

el kaMEANo
11-17-2004, 10:49 AM
the manifold looks as though it has a provision for a distributor. Is this not true? Also, are there computers that will run the opti-spark only? If I carb it , what size carb should I use? 600cfm? 750cfm? How will the computer measure fuel? Has anyone on here had experience with using a distributor on an LT-1?

BRIAN
11-17-2004, 07:15 PM
Call Pace Chevy they have entire kit for swap. Optispark can't be used as stand alone or to trigger a box as far as I know. Actually that is the weak link with the LT1 so be glad you are removing it anyway.

el kaMEANo
11-18-2004, 06:32 AM
Brian, thanks for the info. I called Pace and spoke to Jay. He helped me out a lot. All that is needed is a GMPP manifold (part#24502592-it will allow the use of a rear mounted distributor, no machining required) and a front cover(part#12367600) that covers the hole in the front of the block where the opti-spark set up was removed. Throw in a distributor, and I'm in business! Still not sure which carb to use though. I've had lots of luck with Edelbrock performers, I've heard Holley's are hard to tune, Demon's are nice-but know nothing about them.

Zefhix
11-18-2004, 09:43 AM
Brian, thanks for the info. I called Pace and spoke to Jay. He helped me out a lot. All that is needed is a GMPP manifold (part#24502592-it will allow the use of a rear mounted distributor, no machining required) and a front cover(part#12367600) that covers the hole in the front of the block where the opti-spark set up was removed. Throw in a distributor, and I'm in business! Still not sure which carb to use though. I've had lots of luck with Edelbrock performers, I've heard Holley's are hard to tune, Demon's are nice-but know nothing about them.

Um, now I could be wrong but since it's an LT1, does it even have a cam drive for the distributor? I know it still has an oil-pump drive but do you need to replace the cam?

el kaMEANo
11-18-2004, 12:31 PM
according to Pace, the LT1 cam has a dist. drive.