PDA

View Full Version : I Finally Got One!!!!!!

SicMonte
11-07-2006, 04:42 PM
is hell freezing over????

while I was attending this years SEMA show...I stopped off at the Miller Welding booth (actually airgas)...and took a quick lesson on tig welding...and i didnt do that bad (according to the miller guy). Weld looked really nice...good penetration...nice first weld. So I walked on over to the salesman and I got myself a quote for a "show special" price.

Today at work I was feeling a lil froggy...so I decided to jump. Called up Duane at Airgas...talked it over with him...gave him some numbers...and it is on its way!!! Miller Syncrowave 200!!!!!

this is me right about now...:bananna2: :bananna2: :headbang: :headbang:

free shipping and no tax!!! comes complete with all the hoses and lines i need...gas regulator...rolling equipment...bottle holder...torch...video and gloves.

OHCbird
11-08-2006, 05:52 PM
You suck...JK :razz:

Welcome to the impulse-buy club. Most members here have recognized their addiction, and we're here for support.

My name is Jeff, and I buy parts, lots of parts...

SicMonte
11-08-2006, 10:26 PM
group chanting..." HI JEFF!! " :grouphug:

formula
11-08-2006, 10:59 PM
haha sweet!! I want a welder...

Luckily I do not have the money to impulse buy. However, when I do buy, i tend to forget the actual value of money, round prices down, and overestimate my actual funds. I can easily spend 5 thousand bucks on a 3 thousand buck part purchase, and never fully realize it.

taylorl572
11-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Thats cool i have a syncrowave 200 also, ur going to like it.

MrQuick
11-10-2006, 08:44 PM
sweet deal, take a class and your set.

SicMonte
11-10-2006, 09:05 PM
a guy in my neighborhood has a fab shop and he agreed to teach me....sshhhwwweeeeetttttttttt

Gordz32
11-10-2006, 11:27 PM
great buy, I have a miller 135 mig, After learning to to TIG at Wyotech, I've wanted any kind of tig I can get my hands on, to bad the current electrical setup at the house will not do it for me. Congrats and happy welding!!

Norm Peterson
12-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Adding a 220 circuit of adequate capacity shouldn't be too difficult unless the breaker panel is nowhere near your shop area and you have to pull cable through hard-to-get-at spaces. It's unlikely that you'll have the welder at full power at the same time as the clothes dryer, A/C, and the range are going full chat and all the 120 volt stuff in the house is running too (so you're not likely to pop the main breaker from just adding this circuit).

Norm

Steve68
12-05-2006, 01:28 PM
I just bought a Hobart 140, free cart, free shipping, instant $10.00 off and a $25.00 dollar gift card, I bought a 110 I really didn't think I'd need one much bigger, I've been looking for awhile,

parsonsj
12-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Congrats! Nothing like a TIG welder to make you feel like a "real" fabricator. At least, that's how I felt when I got my first one.

Smartest thing I ever did was to sell it and buy a new one.

jp

Bandit
12-20-2006, 04:24 PM
No fair...I want a tig welder...:crying:
Hey maybe if I'm good my wife will let me get one too?! :fingersx:

rocketrod
12-20-2006, 04:44 PM
I just bought a Hobart 140, free cart, free shipping, instant $10.00 off and a $25.00 dollar gift card, I bought a 110 I really didn't think I'd need one much bigger, I've been looking for awhile,
I just bought a Hobart 140 also. Hopefully I will get to try it out soon smootinh my firewall...

justanova
12-21-2006, 05:10 PM
haha sweet!! I want a welder...

Luckily I do not have the money to impulse buy. However, when I do buy, i tend to forget the actual value of money, round prices down, and overestimate my actual funds. I can easily spend 5 thousand bucks on a 3 thousand buck part purchase, and never fully realize it.

and I thought I was the only one that did that.:hammer:

SicMonte
12-28-2006, 10:52 PM
oh...you are not alone!!!!

ItsA68
01-19-2007, 06:35 PM
I've been looking at this machine too, and I'm wondering if it'll do all I want it to do....with 200 amps, and no water cooler could you do all the normal pro-touring mods on your car? I want to mini-tub, quadra-link, subframe connect, roll cage, and patch panel my 68 camaro....I've read tons of threads here on TIG vs MIG etc...read the entire MillerWelds web site, and I think I want to do TIG, but it seems like the kitten's mittens in TIG is always 250+ amps, and a water cooled torch, which doubles the cost of the machine. $2K is not real easy to swallow, and $4k is almost impossible....is it enough of a machine to do this work?

Gandalf
01-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Congrats on the new toy - now let's see those welds!

G.

Camaro Zach
01-19-2007, 07:54 PM
I've been looking at this machine too, and I'm wondering if it'll do all I want it to do....with 200 amps, and no water cooler could you do all the normal pro-touring mods on your car? I want to mini-tub, quadra-link, subframe connect, roll cage, and patch panel my 68 camaro....I've read tons of threads here on TIG vs MIG etc...read the entire MillerWelds web site, and I think I want to do TIG, but it seems like the kitten's mittens in TIG is always 250+ amps, and a water cooled torch, which doubles the cost of the machine. $2K is not real easy to swallow, and $4k is almost impossible....is it enough of a machine to do this work? 200 amp machine is plenty for what you want to do. I cannot see you using more than 150 amps max for any of the things you listed that you would like to do to your car. Also you will not have any problems with an air cooled torch on that size of a machine. The only thing that could possibly happen is if you are doing quite a bit of high amperage consistant welding.

Now with that said I think a mig welder would benefit you more than a tig welder. Tig welding is very slow and tedious work. Gaps need to be perfect, metal amazingly clean. I don't know what your welding background is but out of the 3 main welding processes tig welding is by far the difficult to master. Especially on thin sheetmetal IE your patch panels and minitub. The only thing you listed that the average person would want to tig weld would be the rollcage (assuming its mild steel mild steel) the only reason they would want to tig weld it is for the looks. It's not going to be stronger than a good mig weld, just smaller and more uniform.

I know it sounds like you have your heart set on a tig welder but i would really look into a Miller 175 or 210 or a comperable lincoln or hobart machine.

Sorry for the hijack Sicmonte.
Zach

ItsA68
01-21-2007, 10:45 AM
I don't have my heart set on TIG, it just seems that TIG is what everyone wants to do, and what produces the best welds. I am a complete novice. I've never welded anything.(READ a lot) I understand that the main advantages of MIG are speed, and that its easy to learn. TIG is slower, and produces the nicest welds. If I was committed to practicing a lot on TIG before I started working on the car, would it still be better to get a MIG machine? I would plan to take a two day TIG course at a local place, and practice.... Its beginning to seem that one of the only reasons to TIG is for looks, as MIG does most of what TIG can do. I'm sure for aluminum TIG would probably be better, but none of my main projects involve it. Would I get good results with MIG for the projects at hand? How nice can a good MIG joint look? (I've read a lot of the FAB threads here, and it seems that all the photos on the older threads have been dropped for some reason)

Monte, We want to see your welds with the new TIG. If another first timer can get good results, maybe I can too? Congrats on your aquisition!!! :bananna2:

LMDGUY
01-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Nice buy on the Miller. I have Hobart welder ... thats been to Hell and back and still works great

Camaro Zach
01-22-2007, 08:16 PM
I don't have my heart set on TIG, it just seems that TIG is what everyone wants to do, and what produces the best welds. I am a complete novice. I've never welded anything.(READ a lot) I understand that the main advantages of MIG are speed, and that its easy to learn. TIG is slower, and produces the nicest welds. If I was committed to practicing a lot on TIG before I started working on the car, would it still be better to get a MIG machine? I would plan to take a two day TIG course at a local place, and practice.... Its beginning to seem that one of the only reasons to TIG is for looks, as MIG does most of what TIG can do. I'm sure for aluminum TIG would probably be better, but none of my main projects involve it. Would I get good results with MIG for the projects at hand? How nice can a good MIG joint look? (I've read a lot of the FAB threads here, and it seems that all the photos on the older threads have been dropped for some reason)

Monte, We want to see your welds with the new TIG. If another first timer can get good results, maybe I can too? Congrats on your aquisition!!! :bananna2:
Sorry I didn't have time to get out into the shop and run some beads today but I will try tomorrow afternoon.

It is possible to get VERY nice looking beads mig welding and IMO would be a better process to use on everything you listed. You will get great results on your projects especially installing the rear suspension and the body work.

You are correct on the welding of non ferrous metals. It would be better to tig weld them but you said you don't have any plans for that kind of thing right now. I would just put off the purchase of the tig welder until it is needed for this kind of project. Because a mig welder will come in much more handy otherwise.

The reason for the photos in threads disappearing is because each person can only upload a certain amount. So they go back and delete their old pictures so there is room for new ones. Kind of sucks but it saves space on the website.

SicMonte
01-25-2007, 01:38 PM
sorry guys....i havent looked this post in a while!! I have already gone through an 80 bottle...and about done my second one. Still getting used to the machine...I will get some pics up soon!!!

by the way....I LOVE TO TIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just feels so bad a$$

formula98
05-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Well how is the Tig welding going? I just bought a Lincoln Precision TIG 225. I got a great deal on a demo machine that was brand new and never used. I haven't bought a bottle yet, but need to. Any idea what the cost of an 80 bottle and what does it cost to refill?

Are you going to post some of your welds?

Tom Vogel
05-07-2007, 07:00 AM
great buy, I have a miller 135 mig, After learning to to TIG at Wyotech, I've wanted any kind of tig I can get my hands on, to bad the current electrical setup at the house will not do it for me. Congrats and happy welding!!
Dynasty 200DX... itll even run on 110. GRReat little inverter!:twothumbs

MonzaRacer
05-31-2007, 08:11 PM
http://www.thermadyne.com/evolution/brandProductSpecific.asp?mernbr=1&div=tai&catnbr=99&pdtnbr=566

Here is the one I am gonna get, I may get something bigger but this will be mine soon too.