PDA

View Full Version : Help with front brake leak

*hotrods*
11-07-2006, 04:52 AM
Ok here's the deal. I'm doing a frame off nut and bolt restoration on a L78 69 Camaro. I went to bleed all the brakes and when I got to the front passenger side I noticed a leak were the hose connects to the caliper. I tried to tighten it and it still leaked. I then replaced the crush washer and it still leaked. Here's the kicker, everything is new including the hose, washer, caliper and crush washers.

So rather than have a leak a decided to replace everything again. I got a new factory style hose and bolt from Ricks 1st Gen. and got a new caliper from a different parts store. Well guess what, it leaks also. I went as far to take a 1/2" breaker bar to tighten then bolt and it still leaks a small bit, almost like a seep now. What is going on here? I have replaced hundreds of brakes before and never had anything like this.

Kevin

HILROD
11-07-2006, 06:51 AM
I've had the shoulder bolts just a little too long so they bottom out before making contact fully with the copper gaskets. I used some thicker gaskets I had laying around to fix it.

*hotrods*
11-07-2006, 07:08 AM
I thought the same thing and I tried to use 2 washers and it still leaked.

yellowrallys
11-09-2006, 10:19 PM
New or rebuilt calipers? I've had a few with the same problem on rebuilts. Some calipers aren't availible new. I found that there would be a slight nick or scratch on the seating area where the copper washer attaches. I have honed the area a little and got it to seal. If you're getting them locally, inspect that area till you find one with a good flat seat.