PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gen Camaro stereo systems

MickyT
11-16-2004, 09:31 PM
Looking for info/advice on installing 2 12" woofers in trunk. Has anyone made an enclosure for this application? Thanks.

Pzary3233
11-21-2004, 04:51 PM
MickyT,

I would just take some good mesurements and then read up on what the subs you want to fit requre for a box. I would be interested in what you come up with... I would help you out with ideas but my car is FAR away... CamaroBoy might be able to help you out a little more...

trackzonie
11-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Got two 12" rockfords in the trunk of the 68. The only problem for me is i also have speakers hidden in the decklid. So when the sub box is built you have less height to build the box, unless you went with a trapezoid style. If you need pictures let me know and ill see what we can do. Right not its in a triangular shape box so that you get the correct sizing.
Kevin

Pzary3233
11-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Kevin,

Pictures would be great! I was hoping to maybe mount the amp on top of the box too... but then again that means that I need more HP to make up for the weight... wait... that's the point!!

CAMAROBOY69
11-22-2004, 06:23 AM
You could just simply put them in a "sealed" box in the trunk. You can purchase a box for about $60 at any audio store. The other alternative is to build the box yourself to fit right behind the rear seat in the trunk. I originally made a fully custom box that I designed and then programed at work for the CNC machine. It was a bandbass box and I did not like the sound at all. I found the best sound has been the box from the store. Just go sealed dont go bandpass. You will be very happy with 12" subs in the trunk. They sound excellent. I currently have 2 12" MOMO subs with only a 400+ watt amp and they sound great with all music. I mainly listen to rock and heavy music but they sound great with anything. Also when you wire the subs make sure to bridge them for the best performance and sound.

Pro-touring towncar
11-22-2004, 08:47 AM
Big thing is where you want to put the box. Under the back deck or ???? Any good car stereo shop could build you a box. You could go with a pre-fab box like Adam said. I have built many boxes. Check the specs with the subs for box size. most come with guide lines for box size. A pair of 12s firing up though the factory speaker holes would sound good put at least 200w to each. Should be fine.

Tim

CAMAROBOY69
11-22-2004, 09:04 AM
If you dont want to cut the rear deck lid then fire them towards the rear of the car. Since you have a 67 Camaro, you have more than enough air space for them to fire into. If I have the same box in my 1996 Saturn as I do for the Camaro it doesnt sound as good. I have to lower the rear seats in the saturn and move the seat forward because the car is sooo small. A custom box is easy to make even if you start with a cardboard mock up. I have made so many custom boxes. Almost one for every car I have owned.

trackzonie
11-22-2004, 02:56 PM
deleted post

trackzonie
11-22-2004, 02:58 PM
lets see if i can get the picture in here or not

kevin

shmoov69
11-26-2004, 04:30 PM
Hey Micky, I have had 2 -12's, 1 -12, 4 -10's and now 1 -15 in the trunk of the 69. They all fit under the package tray (except the 4 -10's) with a custom made box (by me). They have all hit :box2: pretty good and sounded pretty good, but now I am sure that the technology has come a long way since I was into the stereo scene. :hmm: But here is a pic of my trunk now with the 15. I had to make a couple braces from the back seat brace and the hinge brace to hold the box in place. The bottom of the box is at an angle so that it clears the hump in the trunk floor. The 2 -12's will work the same as this in a similar box, you just will have to move the amp.

MickyT
11-26-2004, 09:46 PM
I was thinking about a setup similar to trackzonie with the setup fitting into the area between the rear seat braces out to where the trunk drops off to the main floor - even with edge of trunklip on tulip panel. The specs I have call for about 2 cu ft per woofer and I want to vent for better sound. Then I was thinking 2 6x9" in the usual spots on the rear package shelf and a pair of 5 or 6" built into a custom console in the front seat area. What I dont know is if the dimensions are critical or just the cubic foot area inside the sub box. My buddy is a cabinetmaker so I am confident he can build me what I need.

trackzonie
11-29-2004, 01:35 PM
The one thing i had to do when building mine was put in the rear 6X9's and then measure down to see how much height was in the back. Plus make sure your clearing the shock mounts. Then once you have ideas of how you want to build it build a sample-i used the sheets of foam insulation that you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes and with that you can make sure it fits. Mine is such a tight fit i have to take out the fuel filler neck to get it in and out. Let me know if you need anything.
Kevin

CamaroAJ
12-03-2004, 09:47 AM
what about having a system in the trunk and having a fuel cell in there also, would this be a problem since the amps tend to get kinda warm? :scared:

trackzonie
12-04-2004, 03:27 PM
i dont think you have to worry too much about the amp more then you have to worry about all the electrical wires and ground wires. My amp is digital so it shows the temp and i have never seen it above 125 so i dont think youd have too much problems, also depends on how much power the amp will have and how hard the amp will be working

gmachinz
12-04-2004, 09:20 PM
I have a couple suggestions: First, forget about a box-store bought or home-built. Be more creative-how about raising your floor as a box? Take your trunk floor dimensions and see how high you would really need to go at achieve your cubic feet of airspace. You'd be surprised how a low-profile but wide enclosure can hit! Personally, I like ported enclosures. This way, you don't have a big ugly box staring at you and you have room for other stuff to throw on top. Use the space behind the back seat for amp/crossovers/dist. blocks, etc. and if you decide to go for rear-fill, totally enclose the rear shelf speakers if you go with subs other than a sealed type because the harmonics in the air of the trunk from the subs will make the rear shelf speakers sound like @$$. I anchored the floor enclosure in my car to the actual trunk floor which meant I had to drop the tank for nut/bolt installation-something my father-in-law thought was a big waste of time... :smoke: I didn't care-as long as I got to use his jig/table saws, I was all game!!

68BNUT
12-09-2004, 09:45 AM
Has anyone used the remote face radio that joes radio is selling??? interested in how well it works??

LowBuckX
12-14-2004, 08:34 AM
Im planning to build a custom console with 1 10" firing at the fire wall. The consol will be the enclosure. Im also planning 8inch mids in the door 5 1/4 in the kicks tweets on the a pillar. All ran with a Boss 5 ch.

Im a fan of the front stage system.

Wildthing
12-23-2004, 05:36 AM
Has anyone used the remote face radio that joes radio is selling??? interested in how well it works??

Where is "Joe's Radio"'s website? I am looking for radio options...

68BNUT
12-23-2004, 07:09 AM
http://www.geocities.com/joesclassiccarradio/NEWRADIO.html