PDA

View Full Version : Need thoughts or oppinions on my intake

my72vette454
11-16-2004, 07:06 PM
I am starting on the turbo setup on my 72 vette and have been trying to come up with a good way to set up an intercooler. My diesel tractors and trucks have intercoolers built into the intake and it got me thinking maybe I could do that with an intake manifold on my car. I have an offy tunnel ram that I wanted to convert over to efi and build a log top on it with the throttle body on the front similar to the holley pro ram for the small block motors. And then I thought why couldnt I mill the base down 2 inches or so and make a box on top of it with an air to water intercooler in it and have the plenum on top of that with the front mounted throttle body. I want to get it under my L-88 hood and I think I have about 11 inches of room to work with and the tunnel ram minus carbs is about that now. Anybody have any thoughts on how this might work? I could fit an intercooler about 8" by 16" by 2" thick in the box. How would the shortened runners affect driveability? How big would the plenum on top need to be? thanks,

Mike

Lowend
11-16-2004, 11:01 PM
Why not just run 2 square flange throttle bodies with tubing to a conventional intercooler?
Turning the air 90deg to a TPI style throttle body will only serve to slow throttle response

my72vette454
11-17-2004, 05:15 AM
If you mean on top of the tunnel ram, I wouldnt be able to get that under the hood. I dont want anything sticking out of the hood. I also dont have much room in the front of the vette to use a sufficiently sized air to air cooler along with my a/c condenser and radiator. If I got rid of the vacuum cans that operate the headlights, that would give me some more room up front but if I did an air to water i/c I would be able to mount 2 small radiators in front of the front tires and build ducts for them so they get a good flow of air. I'm thinking that the less stuff thats stacked in front of the radiator, the cooler the car will run. old vettes are notorious for running hot anyways. Thanks for the comments and keep em coming.

Mike