PDA

View Full Version : LS1 in a Chevelle....turbo questions

InMotionJosh
11-05-2006, 05:22 PM
I am thinking of putting a stroked LSX in my 70 chevelle. I am wanting forced induction of some type as well. My first thought was to run a procharger but I really dont want to mess with more belts and tensioners. My next thought is a custom turbo setup. I am thinking a single 76mm with a FMIC. My main question is does anyone make a header kit that will work and I can fab up the rest of the piping? I have seen several setups start with a set of shorty headers and one of them is flipped over and all the piping starts there. Any ideas or suggestions?

pist0lpete
11-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Well first off depending on what kind of boost and cash you wanna spend you may want to look for an Iron block 6.0 or 5.3 because they can handle much more boost in stock form. The ls1 can however be sleeved to handle lots of boost. I believe nelson racing engines has recently come out with some LS1 turbo headers and custom chrome(much cheaper less quality however) makes some as well. I do not however know for sure if either of these will work for a chevelle but it appears they might.

InMotionJosh
11-08-2006, 03:48 PM
I have pretty much made up my mind to do the following for hte motor. 6.0L Truck block, .030 over, all forged to make it a 408. Not sure for heads or intake yet though.

brabbit50422
11-09-2006, 01:33 PM
there is a guy over on team chevelle and i have also heard of a couple other guys who have done this,

they fabbed their own custom headers, and i believe left the ls1 completly stock with the exception of the rods and pistons but the intake and bottom end were left alone also new fuel rails were needed and some custom motor mounts. it is said that 1000 hp and great gas mileage can be had and the guy who has one in his 71 chevelle sais he built his for right around 14000 bucks which for this type of motor is very cheap. the small block twin turbo motor that banks sells has a 200,000 mile warranty and costs 40,000 bucks. but if you really want to know alot about this conversion search twin turbo on team chevelle and look for username scotty hes a really cool guy and really knows all about this setup.

good luck

Thrillrr
11-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Check over on turbomustangs.com they have a lot of useful info on turbo kits and such over there and it's not just mustangs.

TT402LS1
11-14-2006, 06:37 AM
If you not going to run AC, than you can use a set of truck manifolds (without EGR) facing forward. The manifolds has worked for cars running 1000HP. Look on LS1 Tech for more info. I have a set, but they are the ones with EGR.

InMotionJosh
11-14-2006, 02:30 PM
I have seen the truck manifolds used before. I would prefer not to use them based soley on the looks. This will be a Sema quality car, and potentially will be displayed there next year. I have decided to build a set of headers out of stainless, not sure what style yet though.