PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody chrome plated a Holley Stealth Ram?

1 DWN CAM
11-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Has anybody ever chromed their HSR? I have been to many plating shops that say it's not possible. I have placed posts on other sites asking the same question, with no answer. Anybody here done it?

camcojb
11-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Has anybody ever chromed their HSR? I have been to many plating shops that say it's not possible. I have placed posts on other sites asking the same question, with no answer. Anybody here done it?

Never seen it done, but it's definitely possible. I did a tunnel ram "in the day".

Jody

1 DWN CAM
11-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Never seen it done, but it's definitely possible. I did a tunnel ram "in the day".

Jody

Is there any special prepping or procedures? I was told by many shops it wasn't possible because the valleys would cause a puddling effect.

camcojb
11-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Is there any special prepping or procedures? I was told by many shops it wasn't possible because the valleys would cause a puddling effect.

Well, I'm not a chromer so I don't know the exact procedure. The issue is any area that is not buffed smooth will not be shiny, plus all those valleys can't really be polished first and would be near impossible to get the chrome to be shiny in there.

Is there a reason you want chrome?

70 Chevelle
11-04-2006, 06:11 PM
street and performance can chrome any intake, I believe .They have very nice stuff. but their pricey. check them out: www.hotrodlane.cc

1 DWN CAM
11-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Well, I'm not a chromer so I don't know the exact procedure. The issue is any area that is not buffed smooth will not be shiny, plus all those valleys can't really be polished first and would be near impossible to get the chrome to be shiny in there.

Is there a reason you want chrome?

Yeah, because a plain "polished" intake becomes a real pain after awhile. I don't have the energy or commitment to keep polishing it every weekend before a show. I had a triple chrome intake with my TPI setup and I must say it was heaven maintainece wise, I would wash down the motor with soap and water, dry it and use some glass cleaner on the chrome pieces. It would shine like a diamond in a goats A*S!

nancejd
11-05-2006, 09:35 AM
You might consider ceramic coating. They can polish that to a pretty high luster, and it is pretty durable. I don't think you need quite as much prep work to get it ready for the coating either.

Lowend
11-05-2006, 11:04 AM
I would generally discourage chroming an intake manifold. The main reason being that chrome retains heat, which is the opposite of what you want an intake to do.
I would encourage you to look into having the intake coated, like the Edelbrock perma-star manifolds. It looks like chrome, but will not effect the heat transfer properities, and its thick, so you won't have to smooth the manifold prior to coating.
I know these guys were doing it at one point in time
http://www.pacrims.com/

1 DWN CAM
11-05-2006, 03:24 PM
That is very interesting. I went to the site, but was unable to find any sample pictures. I'll have to look into this process.

John S
11-05-2006, 03:46 PM
How does chrome plating retain heat?

Lowend
11-06-2006, 08:12 AM
I don't want to get into the specific chemestry of it... but lets put it this way, when was the last time you saw a chromed radiator

LowBuckX
11-06-2006, 09:23 AM
How does chrome plating retain heat?

Easy think ALUMINUM FOIL OVER A BAKED POTATO

TonyHuntimer
11-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Chrome retains heat. That's why you never see chrome on racing cars...especially chrome oil pans, those are the worst. That's a good way to super-heat your oil.

Tony~

Chad-1stGen
11-06-2006, 04:00 PM
My friend and I used to joke around in highschool about chromed parts.

We always joked that is where the name "hot rod" came from since the more chrome the "hotter" it got and the car with the most chrome had to be the "hottest rod." We thus deduced that chrome somehow makes you go faster...

John S
11-06-2006, 04:25 PM
ya know... I've never really thought about it but now that you mention it it is something I'd like to look into. I do not think that chroming a radiator is a good example, you could chrome the tanks without any problems, but the fins are a different story. You would not be able to restrict or decrease airflow without problems.
But the baked potato is a different story, but there are some variables, lack of airflow being one and do you put the shiny side in or out.
This may be a good project for me to experiment with and see what the disadvantages really are.