PDA

View Full Version : metal posts for glass clips on rear glass really needed?

Chad-1stGen
11-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Hey guys,

Have a 68 camaro where someone shaved all the metal posts off the rear glass channel when cleaning up the sheetmetal. I was calling round to glass shops and so far have only found 2 shops willing to install glass on an older car. The one said I don't need to use clips and they can install glass without them. That sounds sketchy...

Your thoughts?

Madspeed
11-04-2006, 12:32 AM
I think your referring to the Molding studs.
No you dont need them to have the glass installed.... BUT you WILL need them to reinstall the molding..

Do a search on the site for them you should find somwhere somone has special screws to replace them

smittys69
11-09-2006, 08:21 PM
I just used stainless pop rivets and seem to work fine

mikey
11-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Trust me it's alot easier to put them on before you install nothing like a rivit gun jumping and potentially putting a nice chip or sratch in your glass.:idea: Besides drill chucks make nice grinders also when you least expect it.

C5DENNY69
12-18-2006, 12:13 AM
If your window openings are in bare metal, there is an attachment for a stud welding tool (used in the auto body shops for pulling dents) that you can re-weld the proper studs back on.
If your window openings are primed or painted all ready then you can buy special screws that have the threads coated with a sealer, that you just drill a small hole & attach your window molding clips. I believe there are special pop rivets for this also.
I would contact your local Auto body Supplier or a glass shop.

For any of the above options you will want to install the clips at the proper depth BEFORE installing the glass. I hope this helps & good luck!

Taylor1969
01-19-2007, 08:52 AM
I am pretty sure that Rick's First Gen sells screw in studs made from stainless.