PDA

View Full Version : Burnt wires

69ratfed
11-03-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm having a problem with my ingnition wires getting burned.:banghead: I have Taylor wires with 135 degree boots and the fiberglass heat shields.
Dart Pro-1 heads and Hooker Super Comps with 2'' primaries.
The shields are suppose to withstand 1200 degrees. I am looking at Moroso Ultra 40 wires. Any opinions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

6'9"Witha69
11-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Ceramic coated headers.

Can they be routed differently? Are the boots getting cooked or the wires themselves? How close are the wires where they are getting burned?

Sparky
11-03-2006, 10:36 PM
The Moroso plug wires are one of the noisiest (EMI/RFI related), plug wires on the market.
I would suggest a set of MSD Super Conductor 8.5 mm Wires. That’s all I ever install here and are the most popular plug wires I see being used. The MSD wires comes in Black or Red and either 90 * Boot or a Straight Boot which can be bent up to 120 *.

I hope this helps,
Sparky

Madspeed
11-04-2006, 12:39 AM
Yes the heat shield can withstand the temp... BUT the wire inside it is still getting heated beyond its temp capabillitys and will burn..
so No nothing you put on them will stop it.. (as far as Im aware)

Your gonna have to get out the trusty hammer and beat the hedders into submission.. get about 7/16" to 1/2" clearance from the boot and you should be golden

Umm Hooker headders seem to have some of the worst fitting headders on the market.. we installed them on a 69 w a 350 and they have the same problem.

The only other thing I can tell you is buy different hedders.. Quality hedders cost an arm and a leg

Maybee somone else here has something better for you that I am unaware of GL

69ratfed
11-06-2006, 04:53 AM
It's the boots that are getting cooked and it will cause the car to miss and start popping thru the tail pipes.
As far as the headers they are coated and they did cost an arm and leg. However, I will not bend these headers. I might have to pull these off and just have a set made. I know that will probably cost me the rest of my body but atleast I won't be getting burned.
I am wondering if I should go with a boot that is not as thick as the Taylors but something like MSD. Still need opinions.

Thanks,
Ken

Ceramic coated headers.

Can they be routed differently? Are the boots getting cooked or the wires themselves? How close are the wires where they are getting burned?

6'9"Witha69
11-06-2006, 10:38 AM
They make a sectional header shield which can be attached to the header to block the heat from a specific area. I have this on one tube to keep heat off my steering box. It works well and keeps temps down but does not degrade the header as a full wrap would. It is basically a piece of heat shielding held in place by 2 hose clamps. Check the Summit/Jegs catalogs.

Madspeed
11-06-2006, 10:51 AM
[quote=69ratfed]It's the boots that are getting cooked

I am wondering if I should go with a boot that is not as thick as the Taylors but something like MSD. Still need opinions.

[quote]

Thats the problem we had... we tried everything you could imagine..
Short acell plugs heat, covers, shields, different boots,

Only thing that worked was more clearance:smashcomp

Kooks makes nice stuff, try Lemons, Stainless works?

Hope You get it resolved=)

Ken F

69ratfed
11-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Yea, I do too. How about those wires from Jacobs with the ceramic ends? Anybody ever tried any?
Opinions.:seizure:

Madspeed
11-07-2006, 12:02 AM
Yea, I do too. How about those wires from Jacobs with the ceramic ends? Anybody ever tried any?
You mean the silver ends that look like they have been painted silver?

They burn just as fast as the non coted ones

Unless they are real full ceramic then no they arent going to work

the only thing that will work is a hammer or new hedders that have plug clearance

67 caprice
11-07-2006, 04:19 AM
I have the same Heads and Headers. "BBC" You have to dimple the #3 or#5 Header tube "Can't remember witch one." The only plug wire that worked for me was the Eccel Extreme 9000.

67 caprice
11-07-2006, 04:22 AM

For this setup, the boot will not go on the plug because the header tube will be in the way.

69ratfed
11-07-2006, 05:31 AM
I really do not want to bend these headers. That would just make me sick.:barf: if that will be the only choice then I guess that is going to have to do.:smashcomp I might try an Accel style boot first and go from there.

MickMc
11-07-2006, 08:29 PM
On my big block truck I am using the Jacobs 90 degree ceramic. I burned up a few MSD wires.
MSD is my favorite but several of the spark plugs on the big block are very very close to the header. The 90 degree work but buy them long and custom fit the length.

Mick Mc

69ratfed
11-08-2006, 05:30 AM
I was on another site that is discussing this very same thing and LOOK :attn: what I have stumbled across.http://www.wrenchrat.com
Just curious anybody ever tried these The are a little pricey but if they work.:cool: I am having my wrenchman taking a look. I think we might try 1 and see how it goes.
Opinions?

69ratfed
11-15-2006, 11:59 AM
I ended up buying a 25' roll of MSD 8.5mm wire, 115* and 90* MSD Pro boots along with a set of boot protectors. I will let everyone know how we make out. Roll your own as they say.:woot:

Type73LT
09-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Did that Wrenchrat company fold? Website is there but no prices and contact info say error.

BonzoHansen
09-20-2010, 04:06 PM
DEI Protect-A-Boot. The flex nicely around 90* boots.

http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/dei-cycle/ignition-wire-protection/protect-boots

Type73LT
09-23-2010, 07:27 AM
I have those but I have 1 or 2 spark plug boots that touch the header tubes. I need shortie plugs and/or more protection.