PDA

View Full Version : Chevy II leaf spring rear questions

dinodino
11-02-2006, 02:57 PM
I've collected the parts for the front suspension on my wife's '66 Nova, and now I need to plan what to do on the rear. The car will be used for street driving with the rare excursion on the track. Front suspension is Wayne Due's C4 subframe, and I gather that sticking with a leaf spring suspension is the way to go. Drivetrain is LS6/4L60E, and right now I just have the stock rear.

My question for the experts is: what should I do for springs and axle? Should I bring the springs in, and what is involved? I have not yet installed subframe connectors, but I definitely want to do so as the car will not be caged. Should I use fiberglass springs? What else should I keep in mind?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

MonzaRacer
11-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Check this out from ART. Bret has these things set up to run awesome and the road character is so good and it will run the drag strip fine. I had air springs in the back of my 71 Monte Carlo and it had DEAD consistent 60 ft times,,, like only thousands of seconds difference and this was on street tire,, just everyday Hoosier radials not special tires.
http://www.ridetech.com/productinfo/airbarstang.asp
They have several systems available. I have cool ride on my truck and its AWESOME and it only has paddle switches and I used an A/C compressor as my preasure source.
Lee

novanutcase
11-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Lee,

Would you say that its a pretty ideal setup for street, strip and road course. Granted it may not be the best in each but a great compromise?

John

MonzaRacer
11-03-2006, 11:03 PM
ABSOLUTELY,
My buddy just got done with his Nova and now kind of wished he had listened to me and done the Air ride too. I honestly love the crap outof mine on a C10 no less and if I ever get some sticky tires on it some unsuspecting tuners will really hate me in Bloomington I still like to play with them on the on/off ramps hehehe.
Figure it this way , you can go low, smooth and with properly set up stuff( ie double adj shock waves in front and the Air Bar set up in rear and adding in some good sway bars and you can really make any car handle and ride great.