PDA

View Full Version : Hard Starting

rs67convert
11-16-2004, 11:26 AM
Not sure where to post this. Hopefully this is an easy question. My car does not want to start when warm. 180 degrees plus. Engine turns over very slow. Like it would if it were really hot. I have a 454 with low compression. 9:1. Has a remote Ford starter relay in the car. Had a high torque GM starter with a heat shield and iron nose cone. Car would not start when warm. So I replaced it with a mini starter. Smaller lighter starter but it still has the same problem. Is it a bad ground from the engine to the subrame? Is it a bad ground for the trunk mounted battery? The battery has been in the trunk for 15 years with no problems. Bought an Optima battery thinking the old battery was going out. Still won't start. Should I have a ground strap directly on the starter?

Zefhix
11-16-2004, 01:56 PM
You can never have too many grounds!!! Also, check and then double check your timing AND where the rotor points at (under the ditributor) when the #1 cyl. is at TDC. When you timing is too far retarded or advanced, the motor will mimic the same symptoms as heat soak.

rs67convert
11-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Thanks I'll check that out.

CAMAROBOY69
11-16-2004, 05:44 PM
Could it possibly be timing?

Lowend
11-16-2004, 11:02 PM
You need to replace the + battery lead with a 0 gauge wire

rs67convert
11-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Checked the timing and all seems good. But maybe there is an issue with the MSD distributor. Or maybe it's the guy checking the timing. (me) Will check it again as it seems that is the common answer to my question.

gmachinz
11-17-2004, 08:20 PM
I see two possible problems you might want to check out. First, what size cable is it and what is the length of the positive battery cable going to the starter? Cables which are on the small in terms of gauge size but are very long can give you a significant amount of voltage grop so that by the time the current reaches your starter, it onlys provides barely enough cranking power-very hard on a battery. Also, heat kills electrical voltage as well so that combined with a small cable could be your whole problem. I would suggest using welding cable for your battery remote. If you have a digital mutli-meter, measure the difference of voltage at the battery and compare it with what you read at the starter-if it is more than 1/2 volt, you can excessive voltage drop and I would replace the battery cables altogether. -Jabin

rs67convert
12-02-2004, 12:48 PM
It turned out to be the timing. Thanks for the help. Runs so nice now I am thinking of keeping it so I can finish what I started.

rs67convert
12-02-2004, 12:49 PM
It turned out to be the timing. Thanks for the reply.

rs67convert
12-02-2004, 12:52 PM
Turns out that it was a timing thing. Instead of using the light I just turned it up till it detonated under a load. Then checked it with the light and backed it off a few degrees. Drove it all weekend like the good ole days. Thanks for the help.