PDA

View Full Version : Another FNG..

myclone
11-16-2004, 07:51 AM
Another new guy saying hello.. Ive been lurking for few weeks and decided to register as it looks like you guys have a nice community here not to mention I recognized one of the cars on here being my old Rosewood T (Kendall bought it from the guy I sold it to).

FWIW, Ive liked the pro touring slant on things way before it was called pro touring (we really didnt have a name for it) or even remotely popular and since its become main stream Ive decided to do a low budget/driver (see sig). Basically something that is a well rounded car and reliable enough so that when Mrs myclone wants to pick on the locals on her way to work the car is more than capable.

Thats about it for now but Im sure Ill have a question or two from time to time. :)

PonchoJohn
11-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Welcome!
Are you going with Poncho power or???
:naughty:

BlazerSpeed
11-16-2004, 02:08 PM
haha you had me at hello :icon996:

coming from another Sy/Ty fan its good to see your busting yours into the 11 second range, and not simply letting it slowly die in a garage where it never sees the road. What kind of upgrade did you toss at it to brin down the ET? just curious as I'm building a similar set up.

The poncho looks awsome...even if it is all torn apart. what are the plans for it? going to keep it Chief Pontiac Powered?

DEREK

myclone
11-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys...

PonchoJohn,

As much as I know Ill get flack for this the FB isnt getting poncho power, sorry. Dont get me wrong as I like 400s and 455s but budget wise I can build two healthy SBCs for what it costs to build a fairly mild 400 or 455 as Im sure youre aware. Besides, I bought the FB as a roller minus eng/trans and I dont have any poncho engines on hand cause they are pretty scarce around here. That being said Ive got a couple of the small stock syty mitsu turbos, a power stroke A/A IC, and a 406 SBC sitting in the garage that will be going into the tin indian. Keeping the boost below 17psi with the twin syty stockers as well as the 749 syty/turbo sunbird ECM will make for a decent amount of power on 93 pump gas IMO while being reliable as a rock (nothing worse than the wife breaking down while driving her toy).

BlazerSpeed,

Thanks for the props on the Syclone... At one time I was one of only a hand full of ppl that had dipped into the 11s on a stock long block as well as stock injectors. As of late that number isnt very impressive since we have a couple of high 9 second AWD trucks out there now although they arent anywhere near stock displacement (300+cid strokers) and ~96lb injectors. Basically big money efforts but they are still pretty fast so high 11s isnt much of a big deal anymore.

As for mods my truck is pretty much a bolt on machine since Ive never even had the valve covers off the original 72k mile engine but I did upgrade the turbo to a hybrid T3/T4 60 series from Innovative Turbo Systems, home fabbed aux W/A IC, home ported stock cast iron manifolds, home built cold air kit, moved the battery to the rear, 3k stall TCS lock up converter, as well as some reliability mods (340 LPH fuel pump, AFPR, etc).

As for letting it sit in the garage that'll never happen unless I get too old and feable to play with it. The build Im working on now should go 10 teens with a good tune (in a full weight truck) but the problem is keeping 700R4s alive behind it. After shattering the GM 5 pinion planets and breaking a Torque Drive Inc input shaft Im currently working with some other fellows on a 4L80E retrofit. Much stronger trans as well as the gear ratio spread being MUCH better than the 700. After about 425-450ftlbs of torque a 700 is a crap shoot wheather it will live or you will bring it home in a 5 gallon bucket LOL.

If youve got some time to waste there is a vid of me red lighting my way (too much boost/not enought brakes) to an 11.98 at the syty nats at Great Lakes Dragway at the following addy. Sorry, I didnt get vid of the 11.96 though.
http://gallery.turbotime.us/gallery/myclone