PDA

View Full Version : Bolt in roll bar?

sonic69
10-30-2006, 04:06 AM
Does anyone make a bolt in roll bar for a 69 camaro? I've seen many weld ins, but haen't seen any bolt ins.

rob07002
10-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Anything worth doing is worth doing right! Don't do it...

That bolt in bar can become a heavy blunt object flying around your head in an accident. Not to mention what would happen to it in a roll-over.

$800, custom 4pt bar - extra protection and added chassis stifness, a good investment.

Damn True
10-30-2006, 02:52 PM
An autopower bolt in will pass tech with the SCCA if installed correctly. The Pozzi's have one in their '73 and it seems to be working well for them.

Is a bolt-in better than a well designed and constructed weld-in? Probably not.
Is it better than nothing? Absolutely (if installed correctly).

Check out IOport for autopower bolt-in cages.

Is that $800 weld in kit from Chassis eng or similar? If so, will it's design and materials pass SCCA tech?
A weld in cage is only as good as it's design and only as good as the welder that installs it.

rob07002
10-30-2006, 07:30 PM
its a custom bar, not the kit from CE. Not sure about SCCA, but will pass NHRA.

Damn True
10-31-2006, 08:46 AM
The autopower bolt in goes for $899 for a 1st Gen Camaro and absolutely is SCCA and NASA legal.

Speed Raycer
11-10-2006, 11:16 AM
The autopower bolt in goes for $899 for a 1st Gen Camaro and absolutely is SCCA and NASA legal.

Sheesh! Since when did Autopower start getting so proud ($$$) of their stuff??? 3 or 400 more and you've got yourself a well designed, lighter, better fitting cage from a custom shop!

The big differences between NHRA and SCCA is the SCCA required diagonal, the harness bar has to match the tube used in the Hoop, no bends in the rear hoop braces, and tube thickness used. NHRA wont allow a 4 point (gotta have the doorbar)

Damn True
11-10-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm guessing there is a ton of man-hour investment in creating cages for so many different cars. I think they have 200 or so different cages. They gotta recoup those costs.

dougs68ss
11-22-2006, 10:05 PM
ive got an autopower, i like it its bolt in, just didnt want a weld in if i wanted to go back to stock...........always undecided, it was 400 bucks stiffened up the car abit nice quality!

vanzuuk1
11-23-2006, 05:00 AM
Doug, any photos,especially the rear hoop?

I can see bolting in the bar to fit everything and then have it welded up.

SHANE 73Z
11-23-2006, 06:10 AM
Sheesh! Since when did Autopower start getting so proud ($$$) of their stuff??? 3 or 400 more and you've got yourself a well designed, lighter, better fitting cage from a custom shop!

Actually, if you got those prices off of the Autopower website, those are retail. I tried to order directly from them, but they just sent me to IO Port Racing, shipped from San Diego, my 4 point with diagonal & harness was still under $500

Shane

ProBell
11-23-2006, 08:45 AM
I would recommend a welded bar also. If you go to take it out it is just as easy to grind of the welds as fill the holes of a bolt on. Thing that can come loose in a crash scare me. Just my .02$
Randy

Roadrage David
11-28-2006, 03:28 AM
i got a customised comp engeneering 8 point roll bar bolted in belive me its just as strong as welded ............

BRIAN
11-28-2006, 01:28 PM
I agree with the weld in being better in some sense but why would a properly designed bolt in bar fail? If the correct fasteners and mtg brackets are used what makes you guys think it will go flying off? What exactly would fly and hit you? Think of all the bolted assy's on your vehicle, do they fly off in a accident???

Actually it may be the safer of the 2 in a street car as a weld in bar can't be removed for street use. If using a cage on the street you better be wearing your harness and helmet or you will be hurt by your head flying into that permanent cage.

Damn True
11-28-2006, 01:39 PM
A bolt-in is certainly better than nothing at all, and probably better than a poorly designed or constructed weld-in cage.

However, properly fashioned welded joints will be stronger than a slip-joint with bolts in shear and a mount-plate welded to the body/chassis will be stronger than a bolted in plate.