PDA

View Full Version : New member building a 64 Bonneville.

pitts64
10-28-2006, 07:05 PM
I wanted to say hello to everybody.
I was just reading the Pro Touring book I have and noticed the web-site.
I'm working on a 64 Pontiac Bonneville.
It has a 462 Pontiac engine with the origional 4 speed Super Hydro transmission.
Origional American T-70 wheels.
I did a disc brake conversion on it last year but the new engines Ram Air-4 cam is a little rough on vacuum.
I want to install a Hydro-Boost system.

Thank you,
Jeff

Ralph LoGrasso
10-29-2006, 12:53 AM
Welcome to the site, Jeff. The author of the book, Tony, is a moderator here. Any future plans, besides the hydroboost for your car? Looks good.

pitts64
10-29-2006, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the kind words Ralph.
Tony's book was just what I was looking for.

I've made some suspension additions like AGR 12 to 1 box, big Addco sway bars but installed springs that are too stiff.
My problem is there isn't much info on my car.
You would be very surprised at how well my car handles now just with these few upgrades.
I plan on replacing the whole front suspension and linkage this winter.
I'm looking into having upper control arms made with more caster or trying adjustable units.

Bandit
10-29-2006, 05:55 AM
Awesome Bonneville, I always loved those old boats.
I can see how installing new suspension parts would be such a radical change--those cars really left a lot to be desired in the handling department from the factory.

I know my cousin will be interested to see your ride too--he posts here as "peacemaker" & has a sweet '69 GTO, check it out.

Paul

Mr.VENGEANCE
10-29-2006, 04:50 PM
nice to see another bonneville!.. welcome

darrellchevy
10-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Nice Bonneville. Keep the ponchos coming !

mone
10-29-2006, 07:24 PM
Where can I find the protouring book?

PT Goat
10-30-2006, 06:16 AM
Sweet car and :hail: for sticking with Pontiac power! Always cool seeing a fullisize with a manual trans.

Ralph LoGrasso
10-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Where can I find the protouring book?

http://www.racehome.com/books.htm

pitts64
10-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys!

That book is great.
I also have the Herb Adams suspension book.

PT my car is actually a 4 speed automatic. It was called a Jetaway or Super Hydramatic.
64 was the last year for this style transmission.
Some people get the Super Hydramatic confused with the problematic Roto-Hydramatic (slim-jim) that was installed in the Grand prix and Catalina.
In 65 Pontiac started using the bullet-proof 400 Turbo.
I don't know anybody else running the Jim Hand style 462 with the Super hydro. It is one hell of a combo for the street!
It has a 3.97 first gear, second, third and fourth are all direct like a stick shift car.
I run a 2.56 posi so in fourth (1 to 1) I cruise at 2100 rpm at 65-70 mph.

It really handles bends well but I would like the straightaway handling to feel better. I'm going to experiment with more caster.

PT Goat
10-30-2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys!
...PT my car is actually a 4 speed automatic. It was called a Jetaway or Super Hydramatic...

Duh, sorry. I saw 4-speed and stopped reading.

pitts64
10-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Matt, don't I know you from Performance Years?
Its a small world out here in cyberworld. :usa:

6'9"Witha69
10-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Nice looking Bonneville!!

How much do the anchors weigh? j/k

Welcome to the site.

PT Goat
10-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Matt, don't I know you from Performance Years?
Its a small world out here in cyberworld. :usa:

Yep - I spend waaay too much time over there doing the resto thing. I get my PT info here. Both great sites.

TheMonkey
11-14-2006, 07:21 PM
hey Jeff-

funny to see you here. feel like i'm out at another bar other than my usual and i saw a friend from the other bar.

i bought another bonneville. a '61 bubbletop. i'm afraid the drivetrain that i'm building is too much for a convertible.

i'll explain some of my plans in a post here tomorrow, and introduce my project to the forum. my plans are definitely suited for a pro-touring style of build.

cheers,
Scott.

by the way.... i don't regular the bar.

pitts64
11-14-2006, 08:18 PM
Scott, this site is a great place for suspensions. They don't seem to be car specific here.
There are a few of the P-Y guys that hang out over here.

Those adjustable upper control arms in your post are very tempting!

The 61 hard top will be great for your engine.
If you plan on using the 4 speed Hydro you will need a 64 unit. I don't think the 61 hydro will fit the 64-up crank register.
I'd love to see some photos if you get the chance.

I have my combo running great now. I'm down to two things, a very very slight lag off the line when I nail it and the straightaway handling.
The lag could be the cold air through the ram air, I have the heat risers all blocked off and filled with aluminum.

Take care.