PDA

View Full Version : AC bracket question...PLEASE!

80Camaro
10-28-2006, 09:37 AM
Does anyone make a REAR AC compressor bracket to fit a Vortec intake? And if so, will it clear tall valve covers? This is on a '71 Camaro. Thanks

TD509EFI
10-31-2006, 10:33 AM
80camaro,

I assume that the a/c compressor is the A6 model? AFAIK, no one makes a different bracket that will clear tall valve covers, even less likely that someone makes a braket that clears tall covers and fits the Vortec manifold bolt setup.

I've seen guys leave the bracket off, but the A6 is a heavy compressor, so I'm sure GM put the bracket there for that reason. Best you could do would be to make up an adaptor bracket that bolts to the Vortec manifold and allows you to bolt the A6 bracket. You might get away with making the bracket higher, or by using spacers to help clear tall valve covers.

John

80Camaro
10-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I didn't think anyone made one to fit the intake bolt pattern... rather the two threaded hole bosses in the center between the runners where the normal style int. bolts are. I guess I'll just have to make one. Thanks

MonzaRacer
11-10-2006, 02:56 AM
Well I dont really think you need the rear uper one as long as you make the rotational pivot for the bottom rear.
I did make a bracket that attached to the carb studs and dropped down and had mounts ofr upper rear bracket you just had to put it in vice and heat and flatten the bolt holes.
That bracket pretty much just stopps the inherint vibration of an A6.
One fella used my bracket(custom built to order when I do it but have to have intake/carb to do fab work) and ones that go to verticle hole type brackets from some mid 70s cars.
A little junkyard scrounging may help.
Good Luck
Lee Abel