PDA

View Full Version : Chevelle update

Torbjorn
11-15-2004, 03:15 PM
Hello!
Been a very long time since I last posted some pictures of the project.
As you all know there`s always something else you have to do, so the project has to wait.

The pictures show a more or less completed engine compartment.
Fuel lines and wire harness to the fuel injecton is missing, but most of the other stuff is mounted.

I also took a picture of my new steering arm.

JamesD
11-15-2004, 03:45 PM
looks real good, what kind of engine is that?

socalfandabodys
11-15-2004, 05:25 PM
I work for Cadillac and that there is a northstar. I am sure it is a rocket in that chevelle. Alot of people at my work put them in street rods.

Q ship
11-15-2004, 07:23 PM
Oh. My. God. That is so friggen' cool. I think I just wet myself!!

11-15-2004, 10:43 PM
oh great i just made a mess :hammer: that thing is gonna be sweet

Foudie
11-16-2004, 09:42 AM
I work for Cadillac and that there is a northstar. I am sure it is a rocket in that chevelle. Alot of people at my work put them in street rods.

I know of a lot of guys running that same set up in long travel sand rails down at the dunes. With those twin turbos, that will be one smooth and powerful ride. Awesome set up, and a bit out of the ordinary. Great concept :cool:

colt zantop
11-16-2004, 06:08 PM
very cool....heard about a few people doing these...first one Ive actually seen!

blazer4corners
11-17-2004, 05:33 AM
That's a killer looking setup.Nice work on the steering arm.

protour_chevelle
11-17-2004, 06:57 AM
Thats focking hot! I through around the idea of running a Northstar. Such a smooth and pretty giddy motor in stock trim.

-Matt

Torbjorn
11-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Thats focking hot! I through around the idea of running a Northstar. Such a smooth and pretty giddy motor in stock trim.

-Matt
Check out www.chrfab.com they got performance parts for the norhtstar engine.

Tiger
11-20-2004, 06:55 AM
:cheers: Ser ut som om vi er to Nordmenn her :cheers:

That looks amazing! a twin turboed northstar...

wow

Hei
André

Torbjorn
11-21-2004, 08:42 AM
:cheers: Ser ut som om vi er to Nordmenn her :cheers:

That looks amazing! a twin turboed northstar...

wow

Hei
André

Hallo André:ja d va trivel me flere normenn pĺ sia her. :cheers:

Yes ět will bee interesting to see how the engine actually works.
The plan was to start the engine before christmas to see if anything is wrong. then I got time to fix it before the front fenders are mounted for the last time.
I`ve run the engine combo in Engine Analyzer pro , and the numbers says about 600hp at 6000rpm and the torque topped at about 3000 rpm with 585 lbft and stays above 550 to 6000 rpm.
THe turbos are one of the smallest Schwitzer units and cant deliver air to more than 600 hp togehter, but my goal was a flat torque curve from relatively low rpm and up

Torbjorn

blazer4corners
11-22-2004, 09:43 AM
:hmm: Am I mistaken or is that a Jag rearend.....only one that I know of that runs inboard brakes.

Torbjorn
11-22-2004, 02:05 PM
Yes it`s a jaguar rearend. Comes from a 82mod XJS.
It had a 2,88:1 ratio from the beginning but tha is to much with the transm. 0,50 at 6. gear
I changed to a 3,54:1 ratio but i still won`t be using the 6. gear that much anyway.

Modmach1
11-29-2004, 05:12 AM
Nice Project !!!
Hilsen fra Molde :git:
www.moldestuket.com

JamesD
11-29-2004, 12:36 PM
Nice Project !!!
www.moldestuket.com

wow that website has some awsome cars. i don't understand any of the captions, but like they say a picture is worth a thousand words. any chance of an english translation?

Modmach1
11-30-2004, 04:08 PM
Hope to have the site in english also...Ask if you wonder about anything :smoke:

Torbjorn
12-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Nice Project !!!
www.moldestuket.com
Hello! how`s things in Molde?
I`m from Stjordal actually so it`s not that far away.
I`ve been visiting your homepage regularly and I`m impressed! :worship:
Torbjorn

Torbjorn
04-28-2005, 01:10 PM
Hello guy`s!
When I`m writing this it`s not more than just about a week until the engine start-up is planned.
All the fluids are on and leaking is not too bad.
Interesting to see how that`s gona bee when the engine gets hot.Hmmm...!
The drive train is in place an the hydraulick throw out bearing also seens to work as planned.
Fabricated intercooler brackets yesterday.
Here are some picks!

MuscleRodz
04-28-2005, 08:03 PM
That is a wicked setup. I have been thinking about a Northstar powered project off and on. I think it will be Hot Rod based though.

Mike

4OfaKind
04-29-2005, 07:25 AM
Torbjorn,

When I`m writing this it`s not more than just about a week until the engine start-up is planned.
All the fluids are on and leaking is not too bad.

That looks sweet! :drive: I too was thinking about using the N*, but started to waver because I thought 4.6L might be too small. I had just setteled on an alternative poweplant design yesterday. Now that I have seen a N* in something other than a 32 Roadster, I am undecided again. Thanks alot. :banghead:

Seriously though, I like that. You can see the design for my project here:
http://www.shinyrides.com/Project4.htm

Some questions:
Is that a 94-97 Northstar? If it is it will explain why it leaks a little. They have been known to have leaking problems around the cylinder heads. Where does yours leak? How much of the engine did CHRF build for you? Who built your intake?

I may wait for the 2006 4.4L V8 SC and swap the supercharger for a pair of turbos because of all the extra stuff they designed into the block to handle forced induction. Again sweet project man.

69rs
04-29-2005, 09:04 AM
That car is gonna be bad to the bone! I love the stance!:icon996:

Torbjorn
05-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Hey!
Started the engine some days ago and that felt good!!!
Alought it ran on only 5 or 6 cyl I think. No major deal, only dead spark plugs. All the wiring for the TEC3 was connected right and worked well.

Had to remove the oil filter housing from the engine and make a new bracket to mount it on the frame rail. So the leakage came from the banjo on the engine. Had to tighten it a bit more to prevent leakage.

Saw your project and if I remember right most of the engine sits behind the front crossmember in the 56. If so you can avoid many of the problems I had to deal with.

My engine is a -93 modell, but I do have a -97 mod also.(they have better valve seats tham the earlier ones)

Built the intake myself with help from a friend who do have a tig-welder and know howe to use it.

Go on and dare to bee different!
Northstar in a tri-five sounds cool to me!

Torbjorn

That looks sweet! :drive: I too was thinking about using the N*, but started to waver because I thought 4.6L might be too small. I had just setteled on an alternative poweplant design yesterday. Now that I have seen a N* in something other than a 32 Roadster, I am undecided again. Thanks alot. :banghead:

Seriously though, I like that. You can see the design for my project here:
http://www.shinyrides.com/Project4.htm

Some questions:
Is that a 94-97 Northstar? If it is it will explain why it leaks a little. They have been known to have leaking problems around the cylinder heads. Where does yours leak? How much of the engine did CHRF build for you? Who built your intake?

I may wait for the 2006 4.4L V8 SC and swap the supercharger for a pair of turbos because of all the extra stuff they designed into the block to handle forced induction. Again sweet project man.[/QUOTE]

Dragonsnake
05-15-2005, 04:20 PM
Its funny that im living just 400km from you,but i have to go to the us to look at it.:drool:
Its probably a good feeling to have the engine running,and your car looks to be a wild one.

Torbjorn
05-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Hey Dragonsnake!
Where are you from?

Blitz
05-23-2005, 09:59 PM
I'm really starting to fall in love with the 64/65 Chevelles. I'd love to see more progress and details of your project. Keep the pics coming!

Torbjorn
05-28-2005, 03:24 PM
shot some picks right before the car went to the paint shop.
The engine compartment is the only thing that is about done, byt the rest actually looks more like something that the cat hauled home.

After the start up I`ve desided to cut out and weld in another to plate for the plenum chaimber since we feared the first one were too weak.
The new one is 8mm thick.
We feared the constant changes (vacuum-boost) could make the old one break.

kennyd
06-01-2005, 08:07 AM
chevelle looks great ,
i did a northstar conversion in a 55 nomad in 99 before anyone made any parts for them .i was not happy with the performance then , but now with the turbos and aftermarket cams , i bet yours will run like a badass!
good luck .

woody80z28
06-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Wow, that's pretty sweet. Me likey.

Steve Chryssos
06-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Great looking car. Please keep the pictures coming.

Blitz
06-15-2005, 07:10 AM
That's a nice color. Bump for pics.

Dragonsnake
06-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Hey Dragonsnake!
Where are you from?

Mo I Rana.You should come here in the last week of august and try your car on the race track here.You now the ACR i guess,and maybe you can try yourself against the euro and japanese gang:drive2: hehe...

And by the way.Your car looks awesome.......

Torbjorn
10-21-2005, 01:57 PM
Hello guys!
Actually no good reasons for taking so long.
Hope you enjoy the pics

Torbjorn

Blitz
10-23-2005, 08:04 AM
Been waiting to see updates for awhile now. Lookin good! Now, because I'm greedy I need to see more! How's the N*? Looks like it would pull the Chevelle down the road pretty da** swift like.

Bill Howell
10-23-2005, 08:11 AM
Damn, and I thought things were tight under the hood of my A-body! You have done a very good job with all that plumbing. Pictures are great, please keep them coming.

Torbjorn
10-26-2005, 11:55 AM
SOrry to say that you have to wait to after christmas.
I`m doing som restoration work on my house right no,. so I`m busy with that untill then.
But promise to get back with picktures as i got something new.

Torbjorn

80superbu
02-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Very nice!:headbang:

Torbjorn
11-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Been som time since the last update so its time again!
The engine is up and runing and clutch, trans and rear end seems to work ok.
Have some work left but the car would probably be ready for the summer

CRCRFT78
11-19-2006, 05:18 PM
Very Nice

tracar91
11-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Hope to have the site in english also...Ask if you wonder about anything :smoke:

I've got questions. What kind and size wheels are on "Ronnys Banebil"?

lt1chevelle
11-24-2006, 11:37 PM
i love the stance i also have a 65 and was woundering how low it is in the front and rear and what size rim/tires u are running
looks sweet!!

Torbjorn
11-26-2006, 02:29 PM
The tires in fron are 245/40R18 now. but they are a little too wide for this stance, so i probably change them for some 225/40 tires.
I will probably raise the front spoiler a little bit.

By the way! like your 65 project!

lt1chevelle
11-26-2006, 10:54 PM
The tires in fron are 245/40R18 now. but they are a little too wide for this stance, so i probably change them for some 225/40 tires.
I will probably raise the front spoiler a little bit.

By the way! like your 65 project!

whats on the back?? and how much did u lower the car

Torbjorn
11-29-2006, 01:59 PM
Those in the back are 265/35R18 on 10inch wide. Belive the offsett is 15 or 18 mm.
If you like i could meassure the distance between car and ground

lt1chevelle
11-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Those in the back are 265/35R18 on 10inch wide. Belive the offsett is 15 or 18 mm.
If you like i could meassure the distance between car and ground
if u could that would be gr8!

Torbjorn
12-01-2006, 01:49 PM
OK !
Meassures taken from the floor and up to the Rockerpanel up front and in the back. It sits 10 mm lower in the front.
I tested the stance by jacking up the rear a little bit, and it seems like it could bee a bit higher in the back

Torbjorn
04-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Little report from the garage!
Updated the electrical system since I had to add some compnentsto it.Mostly for the remote door opening system.
Seems like the main unit were not powerful enought to supply the door solenoids, so I had to add two relays to do the job. Here a picture from the mounted solenoide and wire to the door latch.
Had to test the riding position, an it feels quite good.