PDA

View Full Version : LS1 budget help

Moose
10-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm really considering changing my car from ZZ4 motor over to a ls1 motor that i have from my previous 4th gen. (stock)

Since i'm on a budget, I was going to do a carb setup for now and maybe down the road convert the car to injection.

Is there a web site, or can someone list for me the stuff that I will need to purchase to make it work in my 69 camaro. My concern is really the power steering. I will not be running AC, its not in my car now..

Also I already have a 6 speed, but its the lt1 style. I know i fill have to change the input shaft and front cover..

Can someone please help..

jannes_z-28
10-27-2006, 12:15 AM
There are a lot of stuff that you need for a conversion. I don't think that you will do it more economical with a carb setup. The stock EFI works just great.

You will need a new fuelpump (in tank or outside). Electrical fans for the radiator. Headers. Brackets. Probably a new driveshaft. Modify original harness or buy a new one. And a lot of other small parts.

A good ballmark is around $2000 minimum for all the stuff you need to get it running and that is on the low side.

Good Luck

Mine is just finnished.

Jan

Moose
10-27-2006, 03:13 AM
Jan

After seeing this post gave me a lot of good info..

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14102

But you don't think doing a carb would be cheaper? Already have a carb from motor now, I would need intake and msd setup.. (I think 550$) with injection, I would need harness, pcm, new tank..

I guess where my big decision to do this will be how much to convert my t56 that I have now.

jaw0001
10-30-2006, 05:52 AM
You will need the fuel setup anyway, since there are no provisions for a mechanical fuel pump on the LS1. I thought about running the GM front cover with a mechanical fuel pump and the MSD box, but that would be ridiculous. I think it would be best to run FI, just do the work yourself, if you have the skills.