PDA

View Full Version : what do you think?

2lofosho
10-25-2006, 06:46 PM
ok guys ive been thinking about bout doing an engine swap on my lincoln ( i'ts a 66 continental) anyways there are way 2 many problems with the 460 swap. and i want a/c and fuel injection. and maby forced induction later on. well onward and forward what do yall think about a ls1/4l60 swap for the lincoln? there pretty easy to find. parts are easy to come by and alot of people on here have swapped them into their cars so help would not be that hard to find. neither would parts. the thing is the lincoln is a 5000 + lbs car anyways looking for opintions. so give me your .2$

Mr.VENGEANCE
10-25-2006, 06:52 PM
if you got the cash go for it!

2lofosho
10-25-2006, 06:59 PM
well the way i figure it the good rebuild kit for the 462 from bakers in like 1600 plus the tranny is like 800 plus the cost of labor for the tranny, new carb, manifolds, so it's like $3000 and alot of time and i still have an engine i can hardley find parts for. no room under the hood, and no power, and ass for MPG. the plan is for this car to be a poster child for my shop which will be opend the weekend after the car is debued <sp?> at either texas heatwave. or take it the whole route of the power tour. im just concerned of the idea of an ls1 pulling that much weight around.

2lofosho
10-25-2006, 07:12 PM
or what about a carbed SBC think it could pull this beast?

00fxd
10-25-2006, 09:15 PM
What about an efi v8 powertrain from a late model ford/ford truck?

Kenova
10-26-2006, 04:55 PM
With the car weighing in around 5000 lbs. I would suggest a 6.0 out of a Chevy truck. There are a lot of people stuffing the Gen. III engines into Mustangs. The newer Ford Mod motors would probably need more room than a 460 would.
Ken

2lofosho
10-26-2006, 05:31 PM
but would a newer 6.0 fit? i dont have alot of room and if i need headers is there a wide variety of them for the 6.0? the 6.0 is a 400 s/b right? what about taking a carbed 400 and putting F.I on it? and then i will have a wide variety of aftermarket parts

nancejd
10-26-2006, 06:01 PM
They are the same size as the LS1.

David Sloan
10-27-2006, 03:55 AM
5000 + lbs = i need a lot of torque! big block or big inch small block with E.F.I. seam to make sence to me.
just my 2cents

MonzaRacer
10-27-2006, 10:03 AM
With that big engine bay you can put just about anything in there.
My first question is do you want to keep it all blue oval or is a cross breed better for you.
I wouls also look at a triton truck swap with all the Mustang stuff out you cna really make the Mod motor run and anything to fit a Mustang would help for power.
while the 6.0 is a viable swap the 4l80e poses some limitations as to tranny size.
another possible swap is just look for a later model roller BBC and swap on a set of aluminum heads and Comp has many good roller grinds.
As for a computer you can go from sawpped in stock to Motec or MegaSquirt.
I am prototyping a MegaSquirt, fuel injection with (hopefully an E85/FlexFuel compatibility soon to come)and it can be fit on any production or aftermarket intake, be it by retrofit or by throttlebody. The neat thing about the Cammer is that with a little work a cover could be made to dress up the engine compartment.
The reason I like the Flex fuel capabilities is that it will give lots of us more possibilities on compression/buildability. I have buddy who is letting me prototype on his 13.1 to 1 MAX Wedge.
Given the possibilties of him having located some aluminum heads and fuel (after local sources start getting E85)being rated at 105 octane, but the alcohol will give us a better source AND the steam produce helps clean an engine, cushion the valves and stops detonation.
With flex capabilites it les us at least be able to try and get to better fuel.
The actual system plans on being 100 percent ethanol compliant not just E85.
E85 is basicly denatured alcohol, been made for years and only used as solvent and cleaners, hmm kind of like gasoline used to be.
some GM truck were produced with flexfuel technology and if I went for LS type swap this would be whgat I work towards as it DOES give you a major step up.
It works and while Consumer Reports for got many points of E85.
They pull out a big truck that gets low mileage anyway (forgrtting that most are soccer mom mobiles) then add in E85 and poo poo it effectiveness.
First the engine wasnt given time to clean its self and retune for E85 completely, second they forgetthat while E85 is 85 percent localy produced alcohol and give money back to FARMERS and local distilleries and not over seas oil companies.
Another fact they miss, alcohol requires approximatley 40 percent more to go same sitance but the efficiency (mileage)was only 27 percent worse.
Hmm as a person with family farm land Id give up some mileage to make corn market better.
sorry this is so long but keep this in mind as you choose your set up and if you need any tech help let me know.
Lee

2lofosho
10-28-2006, 09:44 AM
like i said im not trying to make a race car out of it. or a 14 sec 1/4 mile car. i want a good looking dependable, engine with a wide variety of aftermarket parts, and the ability to make alot of power if i decide. and i dont have very much room for a big block. the way im seing it is if 320 hp/ 340 ft lbs. can pull a 5600 pound suburban around at 100 mph it's more than enough for my lincoln

bobbaganoosh
10-28-2006, 12:09 PM
A ford v-10 would be cool.

mone
10-28-2006, 04:17 PM
just do a Ford big block and roll!!

2lofosho
10-28-2006, 10:16 PM
the ford 460 causes way to many problems with the stearing and the hood clerance. the car will be bagged and lay body on the ground when it's all aired out so i cant drop the engine crossmember to accomidate the hood problem.

00fxd
10-29-2006, 09:36 AM
I stick with my suggestion, efi-sb ford/ overdrive for a quality conversion. Thats the common powertrain for pick-ups, the Lincoln can't weigh that much more. Have you looked into the clearances, pan etc:? It won't be fast but it should do the job. Lots of those vehicles around. I myself have a low mile '90 marquis as a driver. Super reliable and econmical. I wish someone would hit it so I could buy the salvage and install it in a '60's Mustang for the wifey.