PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gen cooling questions

Zedzag
10-22-2006, 09:25 PM
What have you other 2nd gens guys used for cooling sytems and primarily radiator hoses? I've got 2 choices for my swap:
1) Use the factory 81 rad and mount the LS1 fans but with what hoses? I have no idea which applications to try and size up. The rad inlets/outlets are larger on the 2nd gen rad and the hoses will need to be much longer due to the fact that the 2nd gen rad is futher away than the factory LS1 setup.
2) Use the LS1 rad and fans(which I have as well) and factory LS1 hoses. The only problem here is that in order for the hood to close with this rad is if it's tilted forward like it is in a 4th gen. This forward angle leaves two big gaps on either side of the rad and some type of shroud has to be made or alot of air will be movig around the rad and cooling will be hindered.
The second gen rad look much better in the car...less fab work to for sure. This is the route that I would like to take.

WS6
10-24-2006, 03:08 PM
I'd stay with the original or get an aluminum replacement. Not sure if it'll work with the Zs but on the Firebirds you could put a BB Monte Carlo radiator on the front with a little trimming. I have been assured not much and that it is bigger by a small amount. Also remember that these cars came with an upgraded radiator availible as an option. If your's is not one of those cars, you may be able to do a stock upgrade essentially.

Zedzag
10-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Both rads will work and cool the car just fine. It's the hoses that I'm having difficulty finding.

I got down to my local auto parts store and had a look at all their hoses in stock. I found a molded lower hose that fits perfect with the 81 rad. It looks factory. I'll just use a aluminun tube with some rubber on each end for the top. I've seen alot of cars with this and it looks good good once the tube is polished.

Zedzag
10-25-2006, 01:32 PM
you might was to check the sig line here for a correct fit aluminum replacement ... and use your stock hoses
DonNice product! If my factory rad does'nt cut it, I may look into one.

WS6
10-25-2006, 05:00 PM
good looking radiators Don. Glad to know you've got Aluminum ones for the 2nd gens.