PDA

View Full Version : Legal speedometer change

sporter
10-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Anyone familiar with the legal process of replacing a speedometer?

I have 46,000 original miles on my '67 and my speedometer works fine but I'm going to a Covan's dash insert. I'm sure each state is a little different but I should be able to get the swap documented so that I can avoid any legal issues if I decide to sell the car later. Thanks.

Bill Howell
10-22-2006, 03:58 PM
I can not see any legal issues arising out of a speedo swap in a fourty year old car. Do you know for a fact that the car has just 46K miles? If so, that is great, just keep that documentation with the car and also a reciept of the speedo you purchased so you can show the date you did the swap. Probably write a letter to put in the file as to who, when, why, and you will be good to go when you sell it. If you are protouring the car anyway, I seriously doubt a potential buyer will be that picky about true mileage. In most states, mileage is marked exempt on cars that old anyway, not many can prove different.

jaybee
10-23-2006, 08:26 AM
In Iowa there's a box on the title that you check if you believe the odometer is correct or a blank to fill in with the correct mileage.

SatisTraction
10-23-2006, 08:58 AM
if you have a 46K 67 camaro i would not change it.

rohrt
10-23-2006, 08:59 AM
On my 68 FB I rolled the odometer to Zero. Supper easy to do. I would imagin you might be able to set a new odometer to the milage you have, then it would be an issue.

67 455 Bird ragtop
10-23-2006, 10:49 AM
In Florida your title will read "Not actual miles". I did some checking on this a while back when I started rebuilding my 67'Bird. Since my new speedo will read 00000 I will be requiered to have my title read not actual miles. That makes your speedo change legal in Florida. Hope this helps. If you look at the title app you'll see what I mean. Here is a link ...

http://www3.hsmv.state.fl.us/Intranet/dmv/Forms/BTR/Milpak/82040.pdf

sporter
10-24-2006, 06:10 PM
The current mileage is accurate. Looks like Florida won't care if its a replacement speedometer as long as the indicated mileage is correct. I have an Autometer Ultra-Lite electric speedometer, #4488. Directions do not mention it but I wonder if it can be programmed to a specific odometer reading. I'll have to give them a shout and ask.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

LowBuckX
10-24-2006, 09:15 PM
I would call Autometer and check but I beleive that you use to be able to send them in to Autometer and they would set their odometers to what ever you want.

sporter
10-27-2006, 06:15 AM
I would call Autometer and check but I beleive that you use to be able to send them in to Autometer and they would set their odometers to what ever you want.

Bingo. Contacted Autometer and they can flash the newer ones (white plastic cases) to any mileage you want. They can also "run up" the odometer on the older ones. Fee is $25 plus return shipping. Sending mine in today. Thanks.

LowBuckX
10-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Im good for something sometimes

67 455 Bird ragtop
10-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Bingo. Contacted Autometer and they can flash the newer ones (white plastic cases) to any mileage you want. They can also "run up" the odometer on the older ones. Fee is $25 plus return shipping. Sending mine in today. Thanks.

Doesn't matter. If you replace the original speedometer in the state of Florida YOU MUST LIST IT AS NOT ACTUAL MILAGE. I have talked to several people about this since I will be replacing my speedometer. It doesn't matter if you set the new speedo to your current milage since it is not the original speedo. So save your $25 and shipping costs.

sporter
10-31-2006, 04:12 PM
Spent some quality time at the tag office today and learned some interesting things about odometer law. The first answer they'll give you if you change the odometer is that your title will automatically receive a "mileage not accurate" label. This is only true if you lower the mileage on the odometer or replace it with an odometer with lower mileage on it. However, this answer does not tell the whole story and is technically in violation of Florida statutes. Title XXIII, Chapter 319, Section 35, Para. 2(a) states:

(2)(a) This section does not prevent the service, repair, or replacement of an odometer if the mileage indicated thereon remains the same as before the service, repair, or replacement. If the odometer is incapable of registering the same mileage as before such service, repair, or replacement, the odometer must be adjusted to read zero and a notice in writing must be attached to the door frame of the vehicle by the owner or his or her agent specifying the mileage prior to repair or replacement of the odometer and the date on which it was repaired or replaced.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0319/SEC35.HTM&Title=->2006->Ch0319->Section%2035#0319.35

Folks at the tag/title office agree you can legally replace your speedomter/odometer as long as you keep the indicated mileage the same.

Also learned that Florida has three plates for vehicles based upon the age of the vehicle. Vehicles over 20 years old can get the "Collectable" plate, vehicles over 30 years old can get the "Antique" plate and vehicles built before 1945 qualify for the coveted "Ancient" plate. Yes, ancient. Pretty sure the wife would never drive a car with a plate that said "ancient" on it. :rotfl:

67 455 Bird ragtop
11-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Kewl .. good news on the odometer. Also, in case you are interested I have a contact who deals in Year Of Model, YOM tags for Florida cars. I got a new unused 67 tag for my 'Bird. There is a simple process to register this tag on your car. And unlike the new tags they don't change every 5 years. If interested let me know. They are black tags with white letters.