PDA

View Full Version : Starter grinding

brickyard69
10-22-2006, 02:11 PM
I have a new 383 crate motor which came with a mini-starter.

I can't seem to get the starter shimmed correctly as it always wants to grind (75% of the time).

Does adding or removing shims bring the teeth closer on a sbc?

Thank you.

HILROD
10-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Adding shims moves the starter farther away. Check the teeth engagement. It is easier with a stock starter. I've seen a few engines that were align bored that had the crank too far up into the block. If that is your problem the easiest fix is to have a little material removed from the starter pad where it mounts. I've done it with a grinding disc in a pinch. FRANK

scottyz
10-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Is your mini starter clockable as in can you rotate the housing?

brickyard69
10-23-2006, 03:43 AM
Yes it is, but that should only effect the position of the motor, not the nose gear.

paul67
10-23-2006, 10:11 AM
If i remember is there not a measurement between the top of the starter motor gear and the base of the flywheel tooth.

brickyard69
10-24-2006, 07:19 PM
How do you get the gear to engauge (extend out?

Can you just pull it out by hand to get it close to the flywheel to measure?

brickyard69
03-25-2007, 07:42 PM
I have tried adding and removing shims.

I have also added and removed the nose cone shim.

It still grinds.

I have not shimmed only one side.

Is that a normal thing to do?

HILROD
03-28-2007, 07:02 AM
If your flywheel is good, check the distance from the bendex teeth and flywheel teeth. If you block has been line bored it can move your crand up in the block too far. One guy I work on stuff for had 2 engines this way (built by the same shop). I had to remove material from the starter pad to move it closer. Before anything was done the starter would work sometimes, grind others and make the worst noise I've ever heard the rest. I made a tape line on the starter and ground the pad down on the first one, to see if it would fix it. The other the guy had machined off. They both worked flawlessly after that.

Steve68
03-29-2007, 02:21 AM
I was having the same prob, installed it with no shims, works fine!

Rick Dorion
03-29-2007, 03:53 AM
I was having the same prob, installed it with no shims, works fine!
Ditto!

brickyard69
04-07-2007, 04:41 AM
I am now on my second starter.

The first was a Hitachi style. I tried removing material, adding shims, everything I could think of. I must have had the starter in/out 50 times.

I just bought a mini high torque with the offset flang thinking that would work. That one will engauge the bendex , but the starter motor just whins and does not crank.

I don't know what to try now.

Any suggestions. If I keep this up, I may have to put a new flywheel in it as well.

Steve68
04-07-2007, 05:19 AM
Did you put it in Starter to Block no shims, no nothing, give it a try, I know it looks like it needs to be shimmed, Let us know!!!

Whistle Pig
07-20-2007, 04:50 AM
In the same boat, starter was winding but no engagement. Thought it was to far from away from the flywheel. It was actually in to close I had to use the second bolt holes which moved the starter 1/4 in out. The starter gear was going into the back of flywheel and just free wheeling . All was well. 20 cranks later started grinding, put two shims in and it cranks again now with the noize of being over shimmed ???? Hope this helps someone if not please help me?
Kevin