PDA

View Full Version : nova engine mounts

Jinks
10-22-2006, 09:54 AM
There are two styles engine mounts that novas came with.. i believe they used the clamshell 73+.. does anyone know if they are interchangable with the older style? does anyone have a PICTURE of the older style so i can see what im dealing with?

thanks

MrQuick
10-22-2006, 01:56 PM
if its a true 73 frame the holes for a small block chevy should be there. Should be 3 sets of holes.
I believe pontiac used the clam shell type on their frames before Chevy did. This is from my personal experience so I could be wrong. https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=1018 camaro sbc frame mounts on my fbird

Jinks
10-22-2006, 06:57 PM
that's really odd.. its a SBC i have in it.. always has been.. i dont see any other holes other than the 3 i have it bolted into.. it is a pontiac ventura, but i wouldnt think that would make a difference.. Maybe ill just try to grab an old set at the wrecker before i buy some nice ones.. Im not scared to drill new holes if i have to :D

MrQuick
10-22-2006, 08:14 PM
chances are they should bolt right up then. just to clarify, you have the clam shells and not the type in the pictures?

Jinks
10-22-2006, 08:15 PM
is it just me or does the engine sit higher with the older style of mount?

Jinks
10-22-2006, 08:36 PM
yes i have clamshells.. they are way too wide and hit my rack and pinion ( or rather IT hits the motor mount where the banjo fittings attach )

Nothing is ever easy hah! im close to just making my own solid mounts at work!!!

MrQuick
10-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Nothing is ever easy hah! im close to just making my own solid mounts at work!!!

thats right, make em? Now you talking!

We had a similar problem on Brians Camaro. Any pictures?

Jinks
10-22-2006, 09:00 PM
heh.. im not scared to try to make stuff from scratch.. car will ride a bit rougher though hah!

no.. i was too dejected to take any pictures.. i just went to push it onto the bolt.. watched it hit the engine mount about an inch before flush and looked at it hitting the lip on my crossmember and put the damn rack back in the garage.. ill take some pictures soon.. ill probably pull out the engine to get the new mounts in .. which will also make it easier to put the new rack in! ( and grind out my crossmember :) )

all this because i wanted some new heads.. then i had to get new headers.. then the headers didnt fit.. so i got a rack.. now the rack doesnt fit so i get new engine mounts.. then the engine wont fit so i guess i might as well go buy a new car now hah!