PDA

View Full Version : ignition grounded? HELP!

bingham72
10-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Engine Specs...
350 smallblock chevy
Stock Distributor
Crane XRi-1 points conversion
MSD Blaster 3 coil
Here's my issue. i've been trying to get my car to run consistanly. it has been started and even driven. However, it wouldn't idle below 1000 RPm. Now, it won't even start. I get a spark from the coil to the dist cap, but NO spark from the cap to the plug wires.
Is the spark grounding out somewhere? Is the rotor bad?
How else do I test this? all the parts are brand new.
I also figured out that the Blaster 3 coil isn't meant for non-msd ignition, so I haven't tried going back to the stock coil.
But if that's the case, why did it start before?
Thanks is advance!
Drew Bingham

MrQuick
10-22-2006, 02:55 PM
strange, I really don't like trying to diagnose something without being there so i'll try to run through basics.
No spark from dist to plugs. Spark ok from coil to cap.
Is the spark consistent or a sporadic?
Pull the cap and verify that the rotor is rotating.
Is the distributor fully seated.
You can inspect and ohm test the rotor.
Make sure the rotor contact spring is in fact contacting the distributor carbon.
Ohm test the distributor cap carbon inspect that it is not burnt, broken or missing.

bingham72
11-19-2006, 11:53 AM
finally had time to find the issue yesterday. My ground wire from the battery to the cable was awfully corroded. Almost completely rotted through. So I replaced that wire and now get a big nasty blue spark! :smoke: now I just have to monkey with the timing and I think it'll start.

bingham72
11-21-2006, 08:08 AM
ok, now I'm at the point where I want to find the nearest rocket launcher and destroy my car. it now only wants to cough a few time and not start. I crank it, then the battery dies. Charge the battery, it coughs, won't start, flood the engine. Removed the plugs, cleaned them. Tried jumping it from a running car while attempting to start. move the ignition 180 degrees and nothing.
what am I missing? do I need to remove the plugs and let it completely dry out? Am i going to destroy the bearings with all this cranking?
HELP!