PDA

View Full Version : How many people need LS Series Rockers that last?

RSX302
10-20-2006, 11:13 PM
I have access to LS1, LS2 & LS6 rockers that will resolve the factory reliability issues. These rockers have been tested on high rpm race motors with outstanding success. Would anybody have a need for these? I think there going for $495.00 a set with trade-in, but maybe I can arrange a group purchase discount?

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Steve68
10-21-2006, 07:31 AM
Sound good,

Rybar
10-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Possibly, depending on the price.

nitrorocket
10-22-2006, 06:10 PM
What is done with them? Looks like they are bushed? If so, that is not as efficient as a roller bearing being that the is no high pressure oil feed to them and there would be lots of friction, wear, and slop.

Tell us more.

DB Z28
10-22-2006, 06:33 PM
In reality needle bearing design is not realy made for a rocking action but everybody is using them less load factor less friction than a bushed rocker. A Bushed Rocker can handle higher spring pressure and last longer .Crane cams just came out with a new bushed rocker for the LS. Seen a new set like one in the picture at Wegners motorsports this week that looked like that.I,m replacing the Rockers in my LS-7 build with the new bushed ones.

RSX302
10-22-2006, 09:31 PM
DB Z28, Funny that you would mention Wegner. Yes, these are the same ones!

Over the years it’s been drilled in our heads that needle bearings are the way to go. Well this is not necessarily true anymore. As you say, the bushed rockers can handle the higher spring rates and higher rpm that last longer. Rollers just can't compete here.

Nitrorocket, the oiling issues are a thing of the past. These have been designed to get plenty of oil were it needs it. Also the company that builds these has their own proprietary bronze alloy that blows everyone else’s alloys out of the water. These have lasted in race motors turning 9000rpm for 500miles. Need I say more!

The company that makes these also makes Titanium Retainer’s, Valve Guides, Valve Seats, Spring Bases, and Spring Cups… What do you think I run in my motor that pulls 800hp and 8000rpm all day long. There’s a reason why all the big engine builders use them. Not to mention a lot of aftermarket head manufacturers too. Let’s just say that Jesel would be the only real high end competitor. Which we’ve designed parts to outperform them as well.

Out of curiosity…How much are the new Cranes rockers going for? I would imagine they will be substantially more.

I will get prices for 10 and 20 sets.

Steve68
10-23-2006, 03:30 AM
Sweet,

parsonsj
10-23-2006, 03:49 AM
I've seen those rockers in person (at Wegner's), and they are the only rocker I know of that is more durable than stock and still the same weight.

The Wegner boys think very highly of them. They run 9-12 Busch motors a week to 9500 rpm on the dyno. So they know something about valvetrains!

jp

MrQuick
10-23-2006, 02:15 PM
let me know Ron, we might be in for a few sets if the price is good. We get alot of vettes.

Since they are looking for cores, I assume these are refurbished??

RSX302
10-23-2006, 02:34 PM
I talked them into a group purchase:
10 Sets= $475 a set.
20 Sets= $450 a set.
30 Sets= $425 a set.

The more wanted the cheaper they will go. Obviously manufacturing costs go down.

DB Z28, Whose bushed rocker did you get? Wegner or Crane?

Rybar
10-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Do you know how these compare to the Harland Sharp stocker rebuilds: http://www.harlandsharp.com/bolton3.htm

RSX302
10-24-2006, 09:03 AM
It's hard to compare a complete roller rocker (fulcrum & Tip) with this rocker. Although I don't know the reliability of the Harland Sharp, it looks like a nice piece. I’m sure with a nicer price too.The CHE Precision Rockers were designed with two things in mind. “Racing Rule Book and Longevity” In the racing world, horsepower reduction is always a concern, but if the engine can't finish a race then what good did the extra 5hp gain you. The cheaper cost was a by-product due to using the factory arm itself (This is were the rule book thing comes in play) The rockers can be a refurbished piece or new. If trade-in cores are not good then obviously they will not be used.

Rybar
10-24-2006, 09:33 AM
It's hard to compare a complete roller rocker (fulcrum & Tip) with this rocker. Although I don't know the reliability of the Harland Sharp, it looks like a nice piece. I’m sure with a nicer price too.The CHE Precision Rockers were designed with two things in mind. “Racing Rule Book and Longevity” In the racing world, horsepower reduction is always a concern, but if the engine can't finish a race then what good did the extra 5hp gain you. The cheaper cost was a by-product due to using the factory arm itself (This is were the rule book thing comes in play) The rockers can be a refurbished piece or new. If trade-in cores are not good then obviously they will not be used.

Sorry, I meant in comparison to the Harland Sharp stock rebuilds (not the full alum. roller rocker) see the attached picture above.

DB Z28
10-24-2006, 09:46 AM
I,m going With Wegners Rockers on my LS-7. My new engine is being build their Their doing some more dyno testing. on intakes, cams. Than they will start on mine.Will keep u updated on what they all use.
Dale

gEtyOpAPiOn
10-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Put Me On The List Too ...im Tired Of Fishing For Needle Bearings On My Oil Pan Haha

nitrorocket
10-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Put Me On The List Too ...im Tired Of Fishing For Needle Bearings On My Oil Pan Haha

Yours have failed????

gEtyOpAPiOn
10-24-2006, 07:18 PM
i had a few ls1 rockers and seen others go bad ...it apears that the side cap somehow breaks and then all the needle bearings find their way out ...you usually find out when you do an oil change ...but yeah its a common problem on lsx engines

RSX302
10-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Sorry, I meant in comparison to the Harland Sharp stock rebuilds (not the full alum. roller rocker) see the attached picture above.

My bad too...I didn't catch the attachment.

It looks like the Harland piece is trying to help the needle bearings from falling out? Kind of what gEtyOpAPiOn is talking about. Not sure if this will resolove all the issues?

RSX302
10-24-2006, 08:17 PM
I,m going With Wegners Rockers on my LS-7. My new engine is being build their Their doing some more dyno testing. on intakes, cams. Than they will start on mine.Will keep u updated on what they all use.
Dale

I think those might be one CHE Precision made for Wegner. See if they have the "CHE" logo on the side like the picture.

RSX302
10-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Well..Since there doesn't seen to be a big need, I guess the group purchase is not going to happen. They have 10 sets on hand if anyone would still like to purchase.

CHE Precision Inc.
[email protected]