PDA

View Full Version : Cryogenic processing

RobM
11-13-2004, 11:02 PM
does any body know any thing about Cryogenic processing? it seems very interesting (and expencive) but it seems its aplications in our cars are almost endless http://www.metal-wear.com/racing.htm

MrQuick
11-13-2004, 11:08 PM
I don't know Rob, its pretty expensive for my taste...won't help me at all I don't think they will ever find a cure for stupidity? oh in an automotive application...hummm cold is good I suppose.

68LSS1
11-14-2004, 04:35 AM
Don't really know a whole lot about it either. But I've been reading up on it too. I think I will get a few parts done and am also looking at some of the coatings to put on the pistons, valve springs and combustion chambers.

RobM
11-15-2004, 03:06 PM
one of its perks is its susposed to reduce metal to metal friction. this would be great for all engine parts and transmission parts. Jerico transmissions treats their gears. suposed to be good for brake rotors as well they do rotors for $35 thats not too bad .

StRacerDuke
11-16-2004, 03:11 AM
I remember reading about it a few years ago. At the time a place up in Washington state was the only people on the west coast doing it for customers. I think I remember reading that Matt Hinze NHRA bike team started using it a while back. They were dominating for a while until it became more popular. Of course this is all from memory a few years back.

It does sound like a really trick way to get some extra power and reliability though. I guess it's just how much $$$ are you willing to spend...

~Ryan

myclone
11-16-2004, 03:17 PM
In the syclone typhoon community we have turned to cryo treating due to the lack of availability of a stronger forged even fire crank shaft being available...well there is one available but its from an off shore company and is $2500.00 (ouch).

The stock 4.3 even fire cast cranks were breaking even at relatively low boost (22psi) and some were breaking at the stock boost level of 15psi. Several owners had stock cast cranks cryo treated and since then I havent heard of a single crank breakage issue. The only things I can offer after speaking with a few cryo treating co's engineers is that they recommend that all the machine work/modifications be done to the parts before treating. Also, several of the syty ppl are having the hard parts treated in the 700R4 trans and the durability of those units has went up quite a bit IMO due to the fact that those ppl are no longer breaking the treated parts.

IMO its a worth while and economically justified process to check into for critical components as usually those components will take out a lot of other surrounding parts should they grenade.

Wish I had more info to offer but as you guys have found out there really isnt a lot of hard data out there for comparison but for me personally the dramatic reduction of typical failures in the parts Ive mentioned above says a lot to me.

twoduners11
05-18-2006, 10:01 PM
i found this. i want to do this to everything! just need to find a local place http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php?topic=59916.80

kennyd
05-19-2006, 04:38 AM
i have a friend who does it here in our town , my dad works for a large company that has over 70 thousand trucks , they took a set of brakes and did cryo. on one side of them and installed them . after changing 3 sets on the other side due to wear they finally changed the side they did cryo on .
i have another story i have seen in person , he takes a " bick " razor treats it , i have used another just like it , i can wear it out in about 5 shaves .i take the treated one and used it for 6 weeks !
i have taked a new set of rotors and pads on my dually that pulls a 50ft enclosed and had them treated because after a season of pulling i will have them warped , we will see how this works after this show season

Stoker420
06-28-2006, 09:25 PM
I have had it done it cost about $60 per every 75lbs(that's how I was charged). it's a process that cools parts down to a temp of around -1400 or something that cold and then to -140 it takes a day and the reason why it's done is because on harden material there is a heat effected zone which contains stress points and the cooling process helps to rearrange the molecules in a way that almost eliminates that area of stressed material.

Larry Callahan
06-28-2006, 09:31 PM
I had planned to try this myself on my brakes some day and possibly other parts I have more then one of. Do all of the parts on one side only. Through my work I can get parts done as a sample. I look forward to trying it.