PDA

View Full Version : 71 Blazer heater core R&R

Yelcamino
10-18-2006, 02:46 PM
I have a '71 Blazer with factory air and I need to replace the heater core. I haven't had the chance to even look at it yet and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the core has to come out from the engine side of the firewall or the interior side. Thanks.

Madspeed
10-18-2006, 10:04 PM
LOL I should know this by heart.
I own a 72 we have had since 1975.
Ill go look and repost tomorrow
I have an extra heater a/c system for it in my garage allready out of the truck.

Yelcamino
10-19-2006, 04:41 AM
Cool, thanks. I bought this Blazer last May with the intention of making it my daily driver. It's almost ready to roll, but I want to make sure all the little things are working first.

Herb

Madspeed
10-19-2006, 08:44 AM
The heater core is on the inside.
you will need to remove 3 nuts from the outside and a couple 3/8" screw from the inside.

You will also need to remove 2 screws that hold the lwer blend box to the heater case.

Be very carefull with the blend box (in the center under the heater controll panel) as it is fragile and will break if not allready broken.
you will also probebly need to remove the glove box.

you may also need to remove the inner fender panel
depending on skill and tools at hand this would take 2 to 4 hours

Yelcamino
10-19-2006, 05:18 PM
Great! That's the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks.

Herb

Madspeed
10-19-2006, 08:27 PM
No problem Herb.
If you have anny issues I did not cover (and you might) pm me ill look at my stuff closer

there is defenetly a little more than i wrote about but I think you will figure it out fast

GL Ken F

Yelcamino
10-24-2006, 03:54 AM
Thanks! I'll be home this weekend and hopefully I'll be able to get started on it, especially now that the temps are starting to stay low!

Herb

Yelcamino
10-31-2006, 11:36 AM
Ken,

I pulled the heater core out Sunday. It was easier than I had expected. I dropped the inner fender well, and removed the nuts from the studs as you said. After that it was pretty straight forward. The only thing that sucks is the heater core itself was still good. What was bad was the return tube was cracked where the heater hose goes on. Regardless, it was a good thing for me to pull it all apart because the heater core box was stuffed full with little leaves and tree debris! Naturally since it's all disassembled, I'm replacing the AC wire harness and cleaning things up under the dash. Thanks again for the info.

Herb