PDA

View Full Version : Detroit scrap 4130 sources

JMarsa
10-18-2006, 08:43 AM
I'm taking a MIG welding class at a local college and while welding 4130 is not part of the program I've worked it out with the instructor if I supply materials (spool and scrap) he'll teach me.

So I'm looking for any suggestions on sources for scraps that can behad for $ but not $$$. I really don't want to buy new stock and cut it up so I can practice passes. I'm looking for round or sqaure tube with .80-.120 wall thickness.

Thanks,

--JMarsa

myclone
10-18-2006, 11:45 AM
www.chassisshop.com (http://www.chassisshop.com) has "drop boxes" that they sell kinda cheap.

"Part# C63-001 $26.95 contains an assortment of our chromoly "drop" pieces of tubing. Each 10lb box may contain an assortment of round, square, rectangle or streamline tubing, and bar or plate . These drop boxes are very useful for a variety of projects."

FWIW Ive been dealing with chassis shop for about 10yrs and and theyve always been nothing but helpful and professional every time I call.

JMarsa
10-18-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks, I wasn't even aware they were in MI.

--JMarsa

myclone
10-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Thanks, I wasn't even aware they were in MI.

--JMarsa

LOL I didnt either until you mentioned it and I pulled their catalog off the shelf. I posted their site up and figured for ~$30 you could get some drops shipped to you no matter where they were located.