PDA

View Full Version : If I can install a cowl... can I install a quarter?

Taylor1969
10-18-2006, 06:28 AM
Hi,

I was able to successfully install an inner cowl panel. If I was able to do that, will quarters be a problem for me?

Thanks,
Chris

Gordz32
11-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Quarters on my car were not too bad, it just takes alot of patience, I drilled out all the spot welds with a spot weld cutter. Thats prob the most tedious part. Just take ur time, make sure you get quality quarters, and check out the parts behind the 1/4 b/c u may end up replacing them too depending on rust amount. Goodluck

neki67
11-03-2006, 01:17 AM
make sure you get quality quarters

Can't agree more

6'9"Witha69
11-03-2006, 09:20 AM
make sure you get quality quarters
DITTO!

Jim Nilsen
11-03-2006, 11:05 AM
Patience ,patience ,patience is what it takes to do quarters. You will have those things on and off several times or more before you get it alright and ready to weld. I had mine on and off at least 5 to 6 times on each side before I was happy with the placement and fit. A laser is a good idea and having the car leveled up so you can bring everything together on the same plane is very helpful.

The hardest thing is getting the old ones off, once you get that far you could pay someone to come by and help you with the fitment and then you could finish them. I spent the extra time to seam weld the wheelhouse edges instead of using seam sealer and if you put new outer wheel houses on at the same time it will help even more because some of the factory alignment wasn't always perfect and it will try to force you into lining up the quarter to them and fudge it a bit when you could make them a better fit if you can adjust them with the quarter.

When you get to a point you are frustrated just take some pics and come here and ask questions and we'll do our best to help out. As long as you just use Clecos or in my case I used self drilling and tapping screws to hold them in place so I could reposition them if needed and I did need to. I even needed to have to pull up on the rear of the quarters to get them in the right plane with the door seam. They kept wanting to sag down in the back when you measured the line with the laser by over 3/8 of an inch and it was noticably much better looking by eye when it was all done. You get this option when you also replace the rear panel like I did otherwise you will be having to go with where it mounts to the rear panel although you can pull it up if you are doing both quarters by jacking up the frame rails.

Another thing is to make sure your doors are all lined up and the hinges are good before you start on the quarters so that you don't line them up wrong. Another thing is to do one side at a time and not weld them up until you like the way they both look first.

This should either give you enough info to decide if you are up to doing them or not and if this doesn't scare you yet then you are already 1/2 way there.:headbang:

Jim Nilsen