PDA

View Full Version : Any Stack users out there? Have some ST700 questions.

Blown353
10-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Anyone out there have a Stack ST700 tach/display/shift light? I have a couple questions specifically regarding the speed sensor, and also want to know your overall impressions of the unit (functionality, how bright are the shift lights, how's night time visibility of the thing, etc.)

I'm considering an ST700 for the very center of my new custom dash since it will eliminate the need for a seperate shift light and will also do speedo/odometer duties which lets me put the "important gauges" in the center of the steering wheel for better visibility.

I'm wondering if the Stack will take a standard VSS input-- because the speed sensor Stack shows looks like a hall-effect sensor that I'd need to stick down on a hub or something similar with a circular pattern of metallic "features" so it can calculate hub speed. That would be a bit inconvienient, plugging a VSS into my tranny would be much easier!

Thanks in advance...

Damn True
10-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Don DeRadd has one, he isn't on very often though.

Blown353
10-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Duh, I forgot Ron had one in his Camaro. I'll send him a PM and maybe an email.

I was asking because I'm currently redoing the dash in my car, and here's what I had in mind:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Damn True
10-17-2006, 06:44 PM
He has the all in one data-logger thingy.

Blown353
10-17-2006, 06:56 PM
He has the all in one data-logger thingy.

Yep, but I think the speedo sender wiring should be the same, they have the same part number on Stack's webpage.

Damn True
10-17-2006, 07:08 PM
cool

jaybee
10-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Nice piece, but holy cow the price! Is the thing made from pure Unobtainium or an Unobtainium alloy?

Blown353
10-18-2006, 09:42 PM
Just got my answer, Stack sells #ST492 which is a pulse amplifier box that allows it to use a standard VSS signal. However, the amplifier box is $165, plus another $65 for a VDO or autometer VSS. Doesn't make sense when the ST700SR street version comes with the inductive sensor. I'd rather make make a $2 bracket and mount their sensor on a hub than spend an extra $230 for the VSS + Pulse Amplifier, plus if I mount their sensor on a front hub wheel spin won't affect the readings.

Just read the manual for the thing, it sure does have a lot of features. I can't decide if I want to re-do my dash now and buy a new hood later or do the hood now and dash later. I want to do both now but the wallet doesn't like that idea. :seizure:

USAZR1
10-19-2006, 09:40 AM
Buy the hood.:twothumbs

Blown353
10-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Buy the hood.:twothumbs

Yeah, I probably will do the hood first. Maier Racing says they are making my hood louvers this week (heard that story before) and I should have the Aerocatch latches in hand next week.

Just can't decide if I want a flat hood, an SS hood, or a 2" cowl hood before I call up Glasstek and place the order.