PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining billet shine?

formula
10-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Hey guys,

What do you use to keep your unpolished billet parts looking good? I don't want to polish my stuff out, but would like to keep it a nice, clean bright silver satin finish. Is paint or some sort of clearcoat a must?

Thanks!

astroracer
10-17-2006, 04:46 AM
Elbow grease... and lots of it. Keeping the stuff clean is almost a full time job. A painted clear coat shouldn't even be considered because, when the aluminum does tarnish, (and it will) the paint will have to be stripped off to re-polish the aluminum. Look at any clear coated factory wheel that is a couple of years old and you'll see what I mean.
There are some coatings out there that will help but they are more of a pain to apply and maintain then just using some polish on the aluminum and leaving it naked...
Of course there is always JetHot, but if you do that, you may as well save your money and coat the stock steel pieces... That's what I plan to do with Bad Ast... JetHot a bunch of the engine and chassis parts. It looks real good, stands up to just about anything and is relatively cheap AND maintenance free...
Mark

novanutcase
10-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Mark,

Really? Does the paint you plan on using on your parts look that much like billet aluminum? What is this product? BTW thanks for the help on the suspension program.

John

Tom Welch
10-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Eagleone mag wheel cleaner is a spray that will clean aluminum quick. It leaves a dull clean finish that is easy to maintain. Just watch out for anodized parts, the anodizing is removed by this stuff.

astroracer
10-31-2006, 05:18 AM
John, Jet Hot is a ceramic coating. When I had the headers for my truck done I also sent in a pile of engine brackets and other misc. parts. Here is the site...
http://www.jet-hot.com/?gclid=CNLlyu2xo4gCFRAJSQod4W3LLw

If you want a nice durable, easy to clean surface that looks very similar to aluminum this is the way to go. The price is easy to take also.
I will get some pics of the brackets I had done. They have been on the truck since early '01 and still look good with just minimal cleaning...
Mark

Payton King
10-31-2006, 06:18 AM
keep the shine longer than an untreated piece.