PDA

View Full Version : having issues with rebuild gaskets

WS6
10-16-2006, 06:29 AM
The carb in question is an old holley 1405 I believe. I don't recall the model number but it's the factory carb off a 67 327 vette. I am no carb guru but this wasn't exactly very hard to take apart and put back together in the same maner. The problem I am having is the gaskets that came in the NAPA rebuild kit are becoming saturated and fuel is leaking out from almost everywhere. The bowls front and back and the base plate to main body gasket is completely saturated. This is the second time I have tried to rebuild this thing using NAPA each time for the rebuild kit. The first time I merely tightened the screws up good. The second time I have the screws tightened up very tightly. I tightened everything up evenly and progressively.

The carb is a remaned unit and it was leaking slightly before I took it apart. It is leaking worse now with the new gaskets. The gaskets were not glued in which is sometimes what rebuilt carbs have done to them. I have taken a brass wire brush to all mating surfaces and even took 400 grit sandpaper to the flat surfaces to remove any excess dirt or burs of any sort. Carb gaskets still are becoming saturated and leaking. I checked and I am getting good clamping on the gaskets when I took it apart the second time. Considering I tightned it up tighter this time, I feel I am getting good clamping.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Any ideas on what the heck is going on or what I may be doing wrong? This is starting to annoy the hell out of me.

Thanks

HILROD
10-16-2006, 07:33 AM
I have had that with napa gaskets. The top plate gasket on one of my Quadrajets weeps gas. I took it off, but had to reinstall it during a float level adjustment. I think they make gaskets out of tar paper! FRANK

MonzaRacer
11-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Hey are they the shiny orange/green gaskets? if so you may have warped metering block.
Does it have standard holley configuration? If so does it have a transfer tube between body and block? If so its standard holley gaskets and you should be able to use regualr metering block gaskets.
If they are cork then they will leak as the last bunch ever made were over 18 yeasr ago,,,, the company who made them went out of buisness ( it was an outside company that made cork gaskets for holley) after holley went to non stick (hah) gaskets.
Even the blue ones stick I use chapstick on the gaskets to keep them from sticking(yes it works).
Good Luck
Lee

WS6
11-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks Lee. I purchased a remanned Holley built by Holley to replace the leaky one. The new one works fine other than being a tad rich, but it's not enough to worry about.