PDA

View Full Version : Second Gen Camaro AC System

tomspo04
10-16-2006, 04:14 AM
I'm looking for a complete system to put in my 70 Camaro. I have the compresor and the car is an original AC car so I have the vents too. Does anyone know of a good system for my application?

KUL FIR CHICK N
10-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Vintage Air will be releasing a sure fit system for '70-78 Factory Air Camaro very soon. I have one in the shop right now with a finished system. We're finishing up testing and finalizing the instructions right now. Non-air will soon follow.

Ryan

72Z/28
10-17-2006, 12:27 AM
I was thinking of installing a vintage air in my 72 camaro. It is an AC car. I do have the serpentine system with March pulleys and compressor..

anyways, I was told that the vintage air would not make a difference as far as the air flow and cooling go. The reason why some people go for the vintage air is because they have non AC cars..

You can double check about that...

The Vintage Air has not made an AC system for sec gen yet. However, I do like it because it looks much nicer than the stock AC under the hood

Let me know if you get more info.

good luck

Boyd
11-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Vintage Air will be releasing a sure fit system for '70-78 Factory Air Camaro very soon. I have one in the shop right now with a finished system. We're finishing up testing and finalizing the instructions right now. Non-air will soon follow.

This will be awesome. I'm in the process of building my '78 right now and I had just about decided to ditch the A/C because of the ugly firewall box and difficulty in getting an aftermarket unit to fit under the dash of the '70-'78. Any word on when it will be available?

PARKERRS
11-27-2006, 04:57 AM
Classic auto air has a perfect fit kit, but it is designed for cars that came with heater only. If your going to fill your firewall anyway this will not matter, thats what I did. So far I really like the unit. It's quiet, fits nicely under the dash, has seperate coils for heat and air, and puts out very well.

KUL FIR CHICK N
11-27-2006, 10:06 PM
The design work for the '70-73 is complete, but we found that the core support changed in '74, so we are working on the kit changes to cover '74-78. Factory air comes first, with non air following shortly after. Its a really nice kit. The first kits should be released at the first of the year. It comes with a new control panel and steel firewall cover. The kit is based on the "Gen 4" module, which allows you to run either out the factory opening for the lines or smooth the firewall and run the lines out through the fender.

If you can't wait, the Gen 4 "Magnum" will fit nicely as well, it just requires a bit more fabrication to install.

Also, you could install a Gen 2 compac. One of our guys recently installed one in his '81 before we started development on this kit.

72.RS/SS
12-04-2006, 06:57 PM
I have seen a couple 2nd gens with Vintage Air, Gen II compacs. They said you have to fab up some brackets, but the install was fairly easy. It is all electric and has no vacuum lines. I plan to use one in my 72. It is around $975 for the complet kit.

tomspo04
12-06-2006, 05:54 PM
The design work for the '70-73 is complete, but we found that the core support changed in '74, so we are working on the kit changes to cover '74-78. Factory air comes first, with non air following shortly after. Its a really nice kit. The first kits should be released at the first of the year. It comes with a new control panel and steel firewall cover. The kit is based on the "Gen 4" module, which allows you to run either out the factory opening for the lines or smooth the firewall and run the lines out through the fender.

If you can't wait, the Gen 4 "Magnum" will fit nicely as well, it just requires a bit more fabrication to install.

Also, you could install a Gen 2 compac. One of our guys recently installed one in his '81 before we started development on this kit.

I'll be watching for the new kit to come out...I'll need everything but the compressor. Have they released any prices yet?

BonzoHansen
12-06-2006, 07:58 PM

Let me jump in see if you can help me out with my 77.

I have all the factory air parts. I am swapping to a 3rd gen serp setup, thus I want to use an R4 that is moved to the RH side. I'd like to mount a new condensor and mount the drier in front of the rad support as well. Then I figure I just need lines made. Any suggestions on condensor & drier (R134) or any thoughts on my plan?

PARKERRS
12-07-2006, 07:26 AM
Bonzo call classic auto air. Their kit uses a condenser and drier in front of the radiator support. They will sell just those parts and lines, they also have parts for servicing your factory equipment that you are keeping.

BonzoHansen
12-07-2006, 08:50 AM
Will do, thanks.