PDA

View Full Version : ls1 fuel tank alternatives for first gen fire bird

jsconiers
10-14-2006, 08:26 PM
I'm just checking inot alternatives for the fuel tank for ls1 first gen fire birds. I do not have fabrication skills to complete the modification on a stock tank. Detroit speed and ricks hot rod shop tanks will cost me about 1K when it'sall said and done. Are there any other options out there that might save me some money short of asking some on this forum to do it for me? Thanks in advance.

hectore3
10-15-2006, 03:23 AM
You could buy a new stock tank (230.00 or so). And weld in an Aeromotive road race sump (150.00). Together this is what I did and it worked very well.

Ron S
10-15-2006, 04:35 AM
I was going to use a stock tank and weld the sump in it too,but when you start adding it up,tank,sump,good external pump,and those expensive AN fittings plus all the labor involved,I just bit the bullet and bought a Rock Valley for my Cuda,althuogh I built a custom aluminum one for my Camaro because of how low the thing sets

ProTouring442
10-15-2006, 05:12 AM
There was someone on this board who installed a late model Impala tank. Do a search and I'm sure it will come up. Looked pretty cool too.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"
www.fquick.com/ProTouring442 (http://www.fquick.com/ProTouring442)

billybobdupree
10-18-2006, 11:48 PM
jsconiers,

check this thread, https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20270
some good pics of what rock valley will do for you if you do not have the skills or tooling to do it yourself.

And a new tank cost about $100! :woot:

billy

OldSchoolFormula
10-20-2006, 03:45 PM
I cut down the stock LS1 fuel pump assembly and shortened it a lot to fit in my rather slender '73 gas tank. Just cut a hole in the top of the tank, dropped it in, hooked it up to a 3rd gen sending unit assembly (bent and cut to fit) and then made a cover and gasket for the hole I cut. Siliconed the hell out of it, and voila. Instant F.I. tank for $20 in rubber hose, $5 in a sending unit and a little bit of time.