PDA

View Full Version : 17X11 TTII's on mini tubbed 67 camaro

67LSRS
10-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Ok, I am trying to measure the rearend for my minitubbed 67. I have 315/35/17's mounted on TTii's which are 17X11 with 7 3/4 BS. The rear is a stock length 68 camaro 12 bolt measuring 59 7/8 axle flange to axle flange. My main question is with the tires in the wheel well's what inner and outer clearance should I have. If I put about 1/2 inch to the inners it gives me about 3/4" at 11 o'clock and 1/2 at about 1 oclock on to the outer lip. Will this be OK? I am using DSE 2" drop springs (not mounted up yet).
If those specs are OK I am coming up with about 59 to 59 1/8 from axle flange to axle flange. with that in mind it seems that if I roll the lips from 10-2 the stock length rear should work, does not seem worth while to cut the rear 5/8". Am I thinking right here or am I overlooking something? I have never done this before so advice is welcome. Wheel choice was just to keep the cost of wheels down cant afford the fancy custom billets and custom offsets.
Thanks in advance.

Links to tire pics
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2601085080077826120tCvgYu

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2791160170077826120EyYJtO

MrQuick
10-12-2006, 08:24 PM
So you have 1/2" and 3/4". Is that without spacers and stock axles?
What brakes are you using or plan on using? Don't cut anything till you get a full weight mock up going.

67LSRS
10-12-2006, 08:26 PM
The rear is a stock camaro 12 bolt with strange axles (stock length) no spacers used and the measurement is with just the tires mocked up the rear is not in the vehicle.
And I plan to use the 2000 camaro (LS1) rear disc brakes.

MrQuick
10-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Ok, on the axles if you are going to use LS1 brakes will need to be 1/8" shorter from housing backing plate flange to the disc to axle axle mounting flange. You can get the axles shortened or run a 1/8" spacer at the axle.

Now measuring out of car might throw you off, don't ask me how but it does. Get your springs in and mount it all up to find out what you might need (if anything) to do.

IMHO, it looks like it should work. Even with 3" springs the wheels will not be too far up into the wheel well. The inside will be your worry point. I'd rather see the 3/4" at an inner measurment. You can make that up with the tub and frame work.

Are you running adjusable spring mounts(axle housing)?

tyoneal
10-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Call DSE and ask them.

If anyone would know, I would expect it would be them.

You ARE a customer.

67LSRS
10-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Ok, on the axles if you are going to use LS1 brakes will need to be 1/8" shorter from housing backing plate flange to the disc to axle axle mounting flange. You can get the axles shortened or run a 1/8" spacer at the axle.

Now measuring out of car might throw you off, don't ask me how but it does. Get your springs in and mount it all up to find out what you might need (if anything) to do.

IMHO, it looks like it should work. Even with 3" springs the wheels will not be too far up into the wheel well. The inside will be your worry point. I'd rather see the 3/4" at an inner measurment. You can make that up with the tub and frame work.

Are you running adjusable spring mounts(axle housing)?

I will get everything setup and toss the rear in there and see what I have. I bought the whole DSE kit so yes I have there adjustable spring perches.

Tyoneal

I called them when I was buying the wheels and they said it should be close but every car is different and they couldnt give me a for sure answer. They are very helpful and from the repo body panels I have installed and seen others installing everyone of these cars are different tolerance wise.

Thanks for the replys....off to the garage!

67LSRS
10-13-2006, 08:28 PM
MrQuick

Thank You for telling me to throw this together!
I installed the shackles then the leaf springs, I still have to cut the perches from my 12 bolt and install the DSE adjustable ones.
I already have a completely different scenario...with the addition of the leaf springs it is going to push the tire out towards the outer lip ALOT. I measured with about a 1/4" of clearence between the springs and the tire (Is this enough there?) and it looks like the stock rearend will work without mods. But now that the springs pushed the tire outwards I definitely HAVE to roll the lips I really did not want to do this I just hung new quarters. I will know for sure when I get the rear in there which I should have done by tomorrow night hopefully and this should give me an idea of how the body will sit over the tire and how much drop there is. One last question, how much should I allow for the springs to settle? These are the DSE 2" drop springs.