PDA

View Full Version : butt joint weld?

49wood
10-12-2006, 03:57 PM
I cut out a piece of my floor and I made a piece to fit right into the hole so i can just "butt weld" the 2 pieces together. I am teaching myself how to weld. Could someone explain the procedure of butt welding?
Thanks
Ryan

tnt_tony
10-12-2006, 07:45 PM
asuming your floor is made out of steel , I would say regardless of what type of welder your going to be using ( mig or tig ) that prep would be the most impotant thing make shure it is as close a fit as you can posibly get and it shouldn't be a problem .

parsonsj
10-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Ryan,

Really, the technique you'll want to use is called "stitch" welding. Have a search here ... we've discussed it before.

jp

Madspeed
10-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Ryan,

Really, the technique you'll want to use is called "stitch" welding. Have a search here ... we've discussed it before.

jp

Is that where you drill holes and thread the mig wire through the holes =):hah: :bananna2:

ok maybee not so funny

neki67
10-13-2006, 12:35 AM
Is that where you drill holes and thread the mig wire through the holes =):hah: :bananna2:

ok maybee not so funny

Yes, it is!!

parsonsj
10-13-2006, 04:20 AM
Is that where you drill holes and thread the mig wire throughThe hard part is getting the metal to melt together afterward ... :)

jp

boodlefoof
10-13-2006, 07:08 AM
If you're experiencing a lot of blow through with thin metal, hold a strip of copper against the backside of the joint.

JMarsa
10-13-2006, 09:55 AM
I'll update my welding thread tonight. I'll have pics of fillet and butt welds both in the verticle and horizontal positions.

--JMarsa

49wood
10-13-2006, 12:18 PM
I'll update my welding thread tonight. I'll have pics of fillet and butt welds both in the verticle and horizontal positions.

--JMarsa
sweet!!! that would be helpful.
Thanks for all the info everyone. I am still a little confused. What is the difference between a stitch weld and a tack weld?

parsonsj
10-13-2006, 02:26 PM
What is the difference between a stitch weld and a tack weld?
A quick search turned up this thread ...

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14258&highlight=stitch+weld

jp

49wood
10-16-2006, 12:12 PM
thanks again for the info. I think I understand how to weld a filler piece in.
Is there a maximum size gap between the 2 pcs of metal? In other words...should the 2 pcs of metal be tounching or should there be a gap of i.e. 1/16" or 1/8"

parsonsj
10-16-2006, 01:16 PM
If you are welding sheet metal, the best way to ensure warpage is to leave a gap. The hot tack welds will tend to contract, narrowing the gap. That will be happening all the way around, putting a lot stress into the area. The result is usually unplanned warpage.

In other words, it is better to not leave a gap if the resultant panel is otherwise not firmly held in place by other forces such as braces, crossmembers, or even bends or rolled beads.

jp

RobM
10-17-2006, 10:23 PM
the gap between a butt weld is suposed to be half of the material thickness. how ever if its sheet metal just butt them right together

rb70383
08-02-2007, 06:57 PM

--JMarsa

Where is your welding thread? I looked and didnt find it.

JMarsa
08-05-2007, 06:45 AM
It was: https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22726

I never updated it like I said i would. My welds are much better now. I've moved onto TIG. I can post some samples but I think Miller has some really good examples on there site.

--JMarsa