PDA

View Full Version : Better headlights?

Dan Sherwood
10-09-2006, 06:42 PM
I've got a 69 camaro that sees a fair amount of time on the street, and it needs better headlights.
I currently have the "trilliant" tribar light, but it seems very dim.(not looking at it, but it's output on the road) My voltage gauge reads 13.8-14.1 on a constant basis, and there is no dimming or brightening up with rpm's.
Any ideas on better lighting for this vehicle? Thx!

zbugger
10-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Have you tried a set of the Sylvania SilverStar headlights? That's what I run on my cars and I like the light they put out.

chicane67
10-09-2006, 08:33 PM
For the money involved.......

I use a Hella "glass" 70472 lense (http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPortal/WebSite/Internet_usa/ProductsServices/PDF/Headlamps.pdf) (Its not US DOT) with PIAA 60/55 'Extreme White Plus' H4 replacement (http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H4.html) bulbs........ which keeps the current draw down. It puts out 110/100w from a 60/55w bulb.

The color temperature (4000k) of the PIAA Extreme White Plus is phenominal.... it isnt too blue at all, but a brilliant white. Its the closest thing to a true HID I have found.

Hella 70472 (or the DOT plastic version, 70476) run around $40/ea and the replacement PIAA bulbs are right in around $25/ea.

hotroddr
10-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Do you have relays with the shortest wires possible to your headlights? You might be able to pick up some more light by allowing the eiectricity to flow through an easier circuit. If you still have stock wiring you could probably make a difference by rewiring.

chicane67
10-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Excellent point hotrod..... I was about to ammend my post to this, but you beat me too it.

I know that when I ran a Hella 110/90 replacement, the brightness did change a little with the stock wiring, and engine speed. In fact, I think I read somewhere that the maximum recommended bulb wattage for a factory stock harness is 90w.

LowBuckX
10-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Here is what I did. I dint come up with it But Im the only one to put it into a easy schematic. This will turn cheap Silvainia sealed Halogens to a very bright light. Your stock wireing can not supply enough current to make good use of any high performance bulb

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
Using this schematic you will be supplying full battery/alternator current to the bulb creating a very effective light.. No more orange glow. Now a bight white light with the cheap sylvainia halogen replacemant bulbs.. One of the best upgrades Ive made. Enjoy..

LowBuckX
10-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Ps Do Not take battery voltage from under dash or the horn relay. It needs to come straight from the battery or large lug on the starter.
If you take batt voltage from under dash it will negate all your work

Madspeed
10-10-2006, 08:34 PM
LowBuck Is a Smart fooker.
I would add however you probebly need to clean the grounds to the rad core support and make shure you have a good ground from the battery to the core suport. like a 12 or 10 guage wire.
and dont forget to ground from the eng to the firewall while your at it.

Look up my post on voltage drop testing

Dan Sherwood
10-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks guys for the input!