PDA

View Full Version : How to prep a subframe for Powdercoating?

69TAPoser
10-08-2006, 04:48 AM
I plan on sending my subframe to the media blaster next week, then have it powder coated.

The subframe is fairly evenly pitted, not too bad, but about what you would expect for a 38 year old car from the Northeast.

I know that the powdercoat will not "fill-in" the pits. is there something that I can I do to prep the subframe after it is media blasted and before it goes to help smooth the powdercoating?

Thanks,

Phil

ProdigyCustoms
10-08-2006, 05:24 AM
Paint it. powder coated pitted parts look horrible. Good urethane paints are pretty damn durable, and you can fill / prime and fix those pits for a MUCH nicer job

vintageracer
10-08-2006, 11:32 AM
The dreaded "bondo" will make that "PAINTED" subframe look superb and free of pitting.

Forget the powdercoat given the surface condition of your subframe.

Takes Franks advice!!!!

Patrick
10-08-2006, 04:03 PM
You could fill and smooth the subframe and then POR15. Por15 looks almost like powdercoating but is very durable.

68sixspeed
10-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Ask your powder coater if lead would be ok in the pits? I don't know if the baking temp is high enough to remelt the lead or make it flow. -Dan

Madspeed
10-08-2006, 05:58 PM
POR15 looks good for a few months then it looks like chalk

vintageracer
10-08-2006, 06:04 PM
If POR 15 chalked on you, there was a surface issue, application issue or old/bad product issue. Since this stuff does take a period of time to dry, moisture could be an issue.

I know POR 15 likes moisture however the only time I have seen the product chalk was with a moisture/application issue or old product.

69TAPoser
10-09-2006, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.

I have used POR15 on a rearend before. And I believe that I used their primer on it 1st (if memory is accurate, it was about 5 years ago). It held up really nice. The day I sold the car, it looked like the day I applied it.

However, I could still see the pitting. Is there away to "build up" the POR15? Maybe use more than 1 primer coat? Would that sacrafice durability?

I am not a body guy, so I am trying to stay away from the bondo as I am sure I would probably make it look worse! :doh:

Phil