PDA

View Full Version : LS1 build up - Advice please!

BuddyP
10-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Ok guys, I'm new at all this in the motor department.... to the point that I dont' even know what to search for in this forum. Anyway, what I do know is that I would like to put a LS1 in my '68 Camaro.

I know I could buy a low mile LS1/T56 for around $4000-$4500 but would also like to do some mods to it. After doing some seaching around I figured I could also just buy a short block (used) and build up from there with parts that I would rather have (cam, heads, intake, TB, MA, harness, etc.). What I don't know is what exactly all the misc parts I will need in the build that I would normally get when buying a comlete motor (pulley's, water pump, power steering pump, fuel rails, fuel injection etc.). I'm wondering if maybe it would be easier to buy one complete and sell what I dont' want?? Or is it still more const effective to start with a used shortblock? What all do I need to look out for or get ahold of if I do a shortblock build? Are these things pretty straight forward to build or is there a lot of little things that one needs to be knowledgable about to do this properly?

If I was to do a shortblock build, what heads, cam, MA, TB, intake combonations should I be looking for? What cam lift/duration is good in these motors yet streetable? Is there combo's that I need to watch out for that won't work and will actually hurt performance or will pretty much any larger MA, TB and intake work with ported/aftermarket heads? What about injectors when flowing more air? Do you, or how do you, have to program the computer to work with more air flow?

I just wanted to start figuring out which direction to go and get a list started with all parts I need to look out for.

Thanks a bunch in advance!
Buddy P

boodlefoof
10-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Can't give you much help, but for some articles about LS1 combos, check out the AFR article archives. Go to Air Flow Research's website and take a look.

PhillipM
10-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Try www.ls1tech.com (http://www.ls1tech.com)

alky
10-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Yes, www.LS1tech.com (http://www.LS1tech.com) !!! Read, read,read.
I'm doing a LS1/t56 into a '69 and have learned so much from LS1tech.

Nine Ball
10-08-2006, 05:23 AM
So many choices out there. Your best bet would be to define your end goals to us. What is your target HP (remember that they come 345hp stock, getting to 500 hp is easy). How much drivability, is this just a weekend toy?

Tony @ LS1TECH.com

BuddyP
10-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Weekend toy, probably won't see much track time if any at all to be honest (yeah I'm a poser haha). I'd like to get around 450-500 at the crank. Will be a manual tranny. Want decent drivability. I have no use for any more power because I will not have proper reinforcement for much over 500, but won't be doing any hard launches with it either.

If I get a LS1 from a 4th gen Camaro/F-bird aren't those 305 stock? Of course I'd probably around the 345 number after putting headers on it??

Ralph LoGrasso
10-09-2006, 12:58 PM
4th gen F-bodies (especially '01-02 with the LS6 intake) are under rated. The LS1 makes the same power whether in a C5 or F-body. They were 345hp from the factory. Headers and bolt-ons will get you close to 400 at the crank.

dendrizzi
10-09-2006, 02:08 PM
345 -350hp is the stock LS1 rating for the corvette but that is not Crank HP. I think it is called SAE HP which is not crank HP like the old 60's ratings but it is also not rwhp... I have no idea how the factory comes to their SAE HP ratings if someone knows please tell me. I would think that stock LS1 has to have more then 350 at the crank just based on GM figures.

dendrizzi
10-09-2006, 02:15 PM
my friend has a 99 fbody with stage two heads, headers, LS6 intake, aftermarket exhaust, 12bolt with stock injectors. He pulled 443rwhp at vettedoctors. They told him that crank should be around 520..

Ralph LoGrasso
10-10-2006, 02:23 PM
I can tell you that a stock 4th gen F-body (01-02) with a T56 will put down between 310 and 320rwhp.

Nine Ball
10-10-2006, 02:37 PM
345 -350hp is the stock LS1 rating for the corvette but that is not Crank HP. I think it is called SAE HP which is not crank HP like the old 60's ratings but it is also not rwhp... I have no idea how the factory comes to their SAE HP ratings if someone knows please tell me. I would think that stock LS1 has to have more then 350 at the crank just based on GM figures.

Old cars vs new cars. Old cars rated them at "Gross HP" at the crank. Meaning, the max HP at the crank, without any driven accessories or drivetrain. New cars rate them at "Net HP" at the crank, and include the factory driven accessories. Both are still considered 'crank' HP, just net vs gross.

So, in other words, old cars are way over-rated compared to todays cars ;)

Tony