PDA

View Full Version : Need info. on using Lead for body work

Andrew McBride
11-11-2004, 06:33 PM
I am interested in learning the trade of using lead for body filling seams. What tools do you use, any good information would be great. I have seen a couple episodes on TV where guys are using lead in place of filling larger spots w/ bondo.

Thanks, Andrew

Happyfunballs
11-12-2004, 09:53 AM
Try this site. They have a lot of info for beginners, as well as equipment.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/

Duesey
01-05-2005, 05:11 AM
Eastwood is a good recommendation for the tools and videos. I've never seen their videos but their aren't to many people around anymore to teach you. At minimal you'll need.
1. Torch setup with small brazing tip
2. Wooden paddle
3. Tub of bees wax or whatever eastwood will sell you. I use a block of beeswax
4. Sticks of lead. Most are around 6 bucks a lbs and don't go very far.
5. 000 steel wool
6. Muriatic acid for metal cleaning
7. Liquid tin flux found at most hardware stores.
8. Acid brushes
9. Air grinder capable of using 9" 36 grit 3m disks and proper technique because this tool an cause a lot of damage if your not careful.
10. Good body files come in handy also.

It's an expensive skill to do right but a metal man would have most of these tools anyway. You can also warp the heck out of the steel with the torch. It's a lost art form that is obsolete on new cars because cars are disposable these days. I think for most people it's not worth doing. A good welded seam with todays fillers can last a long time. Where it excels is special areas or creases that are more than an 1/8" deep and you cant get to the backside and a stud gun won't pull it. Just clean the area and fill it with lead. It will never crack again. It takes alot of practice to get good and be able to level the lead using the correct heat and so on. The only practical applications are older vehicles such as 50's stuff and older where you have to make do with whatever parts are available.

inSANe DIEGO
01-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Hello,
I don't mean to steal the thread, but I have a '67 Camaro and I need to fix the leaded seam between the sail panel and roof. I have been told that lead MUST be used. Is there any other filler material that will do the job just as well? I don't have the tools nor the know-how to work with lead.

Thanks,
John

Duesey
01-06-2005, 08:35 AM
I've never worked on Camaros but I take it this is a factory leaded seam? Is it a welded seam with lead over it? Maybe someone with more camaro experience with chime in but my suggestion is to use 3m panel bond over this area. You don't need the fancy cartridge gun just buy the product and mix it on a board and use bondo spreaders. It's an amazing product that I use for all kinds of repairs. On metal that has been cleaned up and roughed with 36 grit it will bite and hold like nothing else.

Piet
01-06-2005, 10:04 AM
It's a problem with second gen's as well.... Guess how do I know?

What I have seen done:
Seam welded
Then a 2" - 3" strap welded overtop the seam.
Grinding and filler on the strap edges.

This is what I am looking at.

69Lowbird
01-07-2005, 12:16 AM
I heard that cars without vinyl tops were leaded, but I know for a fact the vinyl roof cars just used a seam sealer. I used filler one my seams, but if you don't want to build it up that much or have it leaded you can just build a welds to fill in most of it and use body filler for the rest.